The Sewing Place

Euro Cafe Street Scene Finally finished

Ohsewsimple

Euro Cafe Street Scene Finally finished
« on: December 20, 2019, 16:11:01 PM »
At last I have a complete scene.  The final sewing it together was a bit of a fight.  I have sewn it to some black satin backed crepe and the next job is to work out how I’m going to back it to hang it. But that’s a job for after Xmas.    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Gernella

Re: Euro Cafe Street Scene Finally finished
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 16:41:49 PM »
Absolutely amazed what can be done.  I am afraid I have neither the patience or the talent for anything like this and this is perfect.  Well done.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

fajita

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 16:54:38 PM »
Very nice.

Lilian

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 17:32:40 PM »
WoW! @Ohsewsimple that is just stunning!  Such detailed stitching, I am in awe.  :)  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 17:55:01 PM »
That is lovely - well done!   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Holly Berry

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 18:18:47 PM »
Beautiful work of art
Procrastination get behind me

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 19:36:39 PM »
Wow, how the heck did you do that? I presume it's machine embroidered, but how did you join the squares?

Vezelay

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 21:47:54 PM »
Well, that's pretty impressive! But like Bodge I wouldn't have a clue how to even begin. Could you run through the process please @Ohsewsimple, for us uninitiated?

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 22:01:51 PM »
Totally in awe.  The work in that is incredible.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 22:13:46 PM »
Absolutely Fabulous  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 22:34:46 PM »
Thanks everyone but not me that's clever. 
Each panel has 3 individual embroidery designs.  A roof, a middle section and a shop front. 
These are a combination of appliqué and machine embroidery.  Each one takes a good part of an afternoon.  They are individually hooped.  There are a  couple of ways to finish them.  I chose to have the satin stitch outline round each one.  When finished, each piece is carefully trimmed making sure you don’t cut the satin stitch outline.  I had to label each piece, although they are all interchangeable. Then the 3 parts of each panel are satin stitched together.   That gave me 7 individual panels.  They are then satin stitched from top to bottom together making one long panel.  Then I satin  stitched across the two long seams. Finally I satin stitched around the edges of the complete panel.  The design was then stitched to the backing fabric with zig zag stitch.  The whole thing is 48” by 15”.   Not sure where it’s going yet but on my sewing room wall somewhere. 
This is the design
https://www.secretsof.com/machine-embroidery/designs/anandas-divine-designs/euro-cafe-street
I’ve done a few of hers and like the others there were a few mistakes.  But I’m used to that and can work it out.  I wasn’t entirely happy with the satin stitching.  Might be the machine as the others I did on my older machine were spot on. 
This is another of hers I did for my mum.  I had this professionally framed.  It is sewn to an aubergine  cotton velvet. The framers were fascinated as they’d never seen anything like it. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 22:41:13 PM by Ohsewsimple »

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 08:27:36 AM »
Those are amazing.  I had no idea that embroidery machines could be so versatile. It's a whole different process and skill (I am not tempted)
Life's too short for ironing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 09:35:00 AM »
I should imagine stitching them together is not easy, I presume that's done on a normal machine with very steady hands!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 12:03:42 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper yes although my machine is both.  Used a satin stitch and the start stop button which was handy.  But I think I chose the wrong stitch.  Should maybe have used an adjusted right hand zig zag as that would  have meant the fabric was over more of the feed dogs.  The weight of it was pulling somewhat and had to be supported.  The other problem I had was the depth of it.  I used my very large extension table for support but that meant pushing the machine back a bit.  As I sew on a kitchen worktop there wasn’t a lot of room behind and I had to keep stopping and folding bits over before it got caught and distorted the stitching.  But it’s done now.  Just wondering which picture to do next.  It does use up lots of scraps.  And all those samples you order come in very handy for this sort of thing! 

Nevis5

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 13:54:25 PM »
Wow.  I am in Awe.  That is truly beautiful, @Ohsewsimple   ! I hope you find somewhere really special to hang it.