The Sewing Place

Waterproof coat

Bodgeitandscarper

Waterproof coat
« on: December 20, 2019, 19:21:25 PM »
I am at last making up this fabric after it's been hiding away in my stash for over two years.  I did have to order another metre to have enough though.

It's a very stretchy fabric, more stretchy across it's width, maybe I should have cut it with grain lines going across, but hey, it'll be ok!

It's loosely based on Vogue 1494 , with the hood and neckline from another pattern.

The rubbery backing proved a problem, so I ended up using tissue paper under neath and on top whilst sewing to get it to feed through evenly.

The sleeves have two seams, which proved interesting trying to top stitch the second seam.

The lining is a mesh, that is ridiculously slippery, but I've managed to whizz that through the overlocker fairly successfully.

I'm still trying to decide whether to put a zip in the front, or use kam snaps, so I can't put the lining and facings in yet.  Also, I'm still thinking about the cord in the hood, and where will that come through/out.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 19:25:35 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Waterproof coat
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 19:31:39 PM »
I forgot, I also combined all the upper panels of the back to eliminate some seams to help with it's waterproofness.

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 08:02:00 AM »
Blimey! That's a bit of engineering!  :S
As a fellow dog walker I would go with zip. The wind whistles in otherwise. Most of the time it doesn't matter as my coat is flying open but when it does, it does.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 10:34:21 AM »

It's a very stretchy fabric, more stretchy across it's width, maybe I should have cut it with grain lines going across, but hey, it'll be ok!

Maximum stretch should go around the body.  Sounds as though you have cut it correctly.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 11:19:40 AM »
Look forward to seeing this finished. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 11:25:17 AM »
@BrendaP Yes, thank you, that's what I thought too.  What I should have written was it stretches more lengthways...  :[ :|

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 11:54:39 AM »
It will probably be fine.  Worst scenario is that you will have to chop a bit off the length of the sleeves. >:)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 12:01:10 PM »
It feels ok so far, so fingers crossed...

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 13:35:56 PM »
I'm intrigued how you can have stretchy and waterproof.  I would have thought the act of stretching would allow water to get in.
Life's too short for ironing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 16:13:48 PM »
I have a bought stretch jacket, it is a "thing", but not very common.

This fabric has a very thin rubbery backing with a (probably) nylon face.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 18:34:06 PM »
Today I've worked out that I had to finish the hood edge before putting the ling and zip in.  I've done small button holes with round ends on each side to allow the elastic cord to have adjusters on the outside (the cord must have been removed from something else at some point, it was lurking in my box of bits that might come in useful some day.

The colour looks odd, it's actually a lovely bright royal blue, with a slightly brighter lining - I thought the lining looked better in the hood, rather than the mesh lining I'm using for the rest of it.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 14:56:13 PM »
Today I have put the zip in and attached the lining - I really like it  :)  Perhaps as well, considering all the effort that gone into it, it's been a right pig to sew!  Today I've been using wondertape, clips and tissue on top and underneath as I've sewn, yet still managed to catch a bit in wrong.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I still need to attach a flap over the zip (I'm sure there's a name for that bit, but it escapes me at present  :[ ), attach the lining at various points inside, then do hems and sleeve hems, and I want pockets so need to work out some flaps for them too.

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2019, 15:03:30 PM »
Looking good.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 13:11:10 PM »
 At flipping last!  Finished!  It'll do for dog walking.

Things I've learnt from this - never use that fabric again, it stretches as soon as you touch it, it's a right pig to sew.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 13:41:53 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Nevis5

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 13:34:23 PM »
Looks brilliant @Bodgeitandscarper  and very practical!  I keep thinking I ought to make a waterproof coat for me since we live in the Land of the Deluge but will definitely not be buying any stretch waterproof fabric based on your experiences.....