The Sewing Place

Deleted posts

Bodgeitandscarper

Deleted posts
« on: December 21, 2019, 10:16:45 AM »
I notice that someone has deleted all their posts from at least one thread - is this something any member can do?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 10:18:33 AM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Acorn

Re: Deleted posts
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 10:20:03 AM »
It has to be done by admins, but could be done at the request of a member - the GDPR requires us to remove personal details when asked, and, of course, we would never want anyone to feel they had compromised themselves.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 15:18:40 PM »
@Acorn - the GDPR is one of the worst pieces of legislation we've seen in a long while.  They implemented it to prevent Cambridge Analytica and the likes harvesting personal details, which makes sense, but it's so all-encompassing that it's compromising the ability of tiny operations, like the PTA of which I am chair, from doing their job.  Because we're a registered charity we're considered legally separate from the school so GDPR means we can no longer consider parents and carers as automatically members of the PTA and they have to opt in before we can invite them to buy tickets for a quiz night or the like!  Drives me nuts.  Instead we have to allude to the fact that there's a flyer on the school website about three levels down in the menu structure and hope people a) read the school newsletter to the end where we usually wind up and b) are motivated enough to go find it.  Needless to say, our take-up on evening fundraisers is about half what it was three or four years ago.

Maybe it's our own fault for not reviewing it when it was still at the white paper stage....

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 15:37:31 PM »
GDPR is being used as an excuse by a lot of American websites that can well afford to sort out the legal angles, to simply block access to EU countries.   :angry:  Will anything change when the UK formally leaves the EU, though?

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 16:04:44 PM »
You don't want to get me started on the GDPR - the charity I work for is fundamentally online, and it fell to me to sort out the implications of it.  Despite (from memory) 300 pages detailing the regulation, and it being (as @HenriettaMaria says) driven by the need to protect data held on the internet, no thought had been given to how it would apply to interactive internet usage, such as forums.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.