The Sewing Place

Sewing machine recommendations for thick/tough fabric

Sew What?

Sewing machine recommendations for thick/tough fabric
« on: December 25, 2019, 11:09:15 AM »
I'm looking for a machine that will sew thicker fabric, canvas, faux leather and padded fabric. As this is a test to see if I can do it on looking at second hand, budget max £150. I've had a few pointed out to me such as older Singers like the 201k.

I'm wondering what else may be worth a look. My eBay searches tend to show a lot of Jones machines that I can't find any info on or Janome New Home with just as little info.

What would be a decent machine for a beginner that can sew the thicker stuff?

Iminei

Re: Sewing machine recommendations for thick/tough fabric
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 11:20:16 AM »
You might need to wait a bit for replies on this one, what with it being christmas and all ...

Have a look through the machine threads for similar topics ... myself (being no expert) i would suggest looking at s/h industrial machines if these fabrics are likely to be your main sewing projects.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewbusy

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »
There are many machines that could do those tasks however to use a domestic machine to perform them on a regular basis could be too big an ask. So many different thicknesses in types of fabric and padded fabric? Do you mean a wadding sewn to a top fabric?

If you have a local sewing machine shop who sells used machines you could arrange to take a few samples/examples of what you would be likely to sew and ask if you can try a couple out or ask for their recommendation. Many of the older type sewing machine technicians (as lots are referred to now) are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help and offer advice. Shops with franchises/dealerships are less likely to offer this service and to be honest some are really just sales people who demonstrate.

I don't know where you are based but I'm sure members will point you towards and recommend someone they've used, or otherwise as can happen.

I'm very lucky, close to me are a father and son business. The father is in his eighties but there's very little he doesn't know about older machines and his son is equally as knowledgeable with old and modern computerised machines.

Ask away on here people enjoy helping.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 11:30:10 AM by Sewbusy »

Roger

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 14:25:32 PM »
There are a lot of good options in the vintage machine lines Singers are always a good option 201ks are excellent 15ks are rumoured to have been originally demonstrated sewing tin cans... a 99k might be a good option too if youre looking for something compact.

Pfaffs are also excellent for tougher fabrics the Pfaff 30 is a fab machine

There are also some cheaper industrial machines 95k for example ... check the motor is good for 220-240 or 230v

The vintage machine market is very variable - ebay tends to be an expensive source... Facebook market place or gumtree are good I've had some amazing bargains from these or local auctions - but the machines can be a little unloved.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Sew What?

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 15:16:40 PM »
There are a lot of good options in the vintage machine lines Singers are always a good option 201ks are excellent 15ks are rumoured to have been originally demonstrated sewing tin cans... a 99k might be a good option too if youre looking for something compact.

Pfaffs are also excellent for tougher fabrics the Pfaff 30 is a fab machine

There are also some cheaper industrial machines 95k for example ... check the motor is good for 220-240 or 230v

The vintage machine market is very variable - ebay tends to be an expensive source... Facebook market place or gumtree are good I've had some amazing bargains from these or local auctions - but the machines can be a little unloved.
I don’t use Facebook any more so not really an option. There's a Pfaff 85 near me on Gumtree so it's either that or eBay for something local.

Sewbusy

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 10:39:24 AM »
Looks like a decent machine for that price if it's in good working condition, if you haven't seen it you can get the manual/ handbook which gives a good summation of the fabrics the machine can handle.

http://www.pfaff.com/SiteMedia/PFAFF/Products/Machines/Support-manuals/pfaff_84_85-manual-EN.PDF

Sew What?

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 13:15:50 PM »
Looks like a decent machine for that price if it's in good working condition, if you haven't seen it you can get the manual/ handbook which gives a good summation of the fabrics the machine can handle.

http://www.pfaff.com/SiteMedia/PFAFF/Products/Machines/Support-manuals/pfaff_84_85-manual-EN.PDF
Waiting for a reply from the seller. If it’s available I’m going for it

Sew What?

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 18:27:09 PM »
30 min drive and £45 later I have it. Pretty chuffed as it seems indecent condition. Ive had a quick play with it and everything seems to work well. I'll now have loads of questions and scraps of test fabric everywhere!

Roger

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 18:59:52 PM »
I’m glad you’ve managed to get a new machine! Enjoy)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132