The Sewing Place

Giving beginner sewing lessons

Vezelay

Giving beginner sewing lessons
« on: December 26, 2019, 10:06:30 AM »
My friend has asked that I give her and her husband sewing lessons for Christmas. They just unboxed their new Janome (similar to mine) yesterday and the first lesson is tomorrow!

She's a complete beginner but has checked out some YouTube videos in advance. He may have sewn a little years ago. I plan to make sure they can both thread the machine, wind the bobbin etc. Sew a few straight lines, change the feet. I'll take a few different scraps there to practise on, see what else they need to buy. Then what?

Other suggestions from those who've given beginner sewing instruction to friends and family would welcome please.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 14:47:38 PM by Vezelay »

Iminei

Re: Giving beginner sewing lessons
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 10:24:10 AM »
Garment sewing or the Darkside ??
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 10:43:03 AM »
After 7 years I still never change the foot on my machine  :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 11:08:49 AM »
I think I would sound them out about what they are thinking they would like to sew because different techniques will be important depending on what they want to do.
I recently helped out a neighbour who had made,a lot of cushion covers and the like but wanted to make clothes for her grandchildren and had bought a couple of patterns.  We went through the pattern instructions step by step and I filled in the detail e.g. cutting on grain, sewing darts, finishing seams, grading seam allowances, clipping and notching curves etc.  My aim was to help her end up with a nicely finished garment.  She did a cracking job and now puts me to shame with her prolific output.
Life's too short for ironing.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 12:12:23 PM »
I haven’t taught anyone to sew but ideas you might like to consider are:

1. Sewing a simple envelope cushion cover
2. Make an apron. Cut out a simple apron pattern and hem the edges. Attach a central pocket and attach the straps - neck strap and ties.
3. Make a bowl cozy or mug rug. Learning about using wadding/interfacing and simple quilting stitches.
4. Sew a simple elasticated skirt or trousers from a pattern.

Madetosew on YouTube is very good. She demonstrates and explains the steps well.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 12:54:34 PM »
I taught a house-mate to sew many years ago.  He had never sewn anything but he was a draughtsman and therefore had an eye for precision and accuracy.  I had some shirting in the stash and a man's shirt pattern to hand.  I took him through the techniques - grain, notches, interfacing, flat-fell seaming, plackets - and he got on with it.  The only bit he didn't tackle was the buttonholes, which, on my swing-needle machine took some learning to get right, so I did them for him.  He wore the shirt with pride!

In other words, what else do your candidates do?  If they do something else that requires precision then they will probably get it very quickly.  Woodworkers seem to be in that category - they're very up on grain and 'measure twice, cut once' accuracy.

Roger

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 12:56:17 PM »
When I was taught, we took the manual and the teacher had a list of common uses and we worked out to get them, so we did buttons, buttonholes, straight and curved hems, appliqué, elastic, straight line quilting, a range of pattern stitches, made a small cushion case, a zipped quilted purse. And of course starting and ending sewing... we also wanted to look at double needle sewing but didn’t get to it...
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 13:23:26 PM »
I agree , when you are teaching adults, young and not so young, mostly they want to get on with something proper and quite likely already have transferable skills.  I would be bored to tears doing practice stuff.
Life's too short for ironing.

Vezelay

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 14:47:13 PM »
Thanks, some great ideas there which I shall plunder.

This is not going to be a sewing course, more like a couple of hours this week and next, then advice as and when they ask. I'm not a natural teacher and I won't have all the answers - there are many gaps in my knowledge. Of the couple, he talks of wanting to alter and repair his jeans and shirts (repairs not my forte, I tend to save the torn fabric for crafts/bags). She is open to ideas but wants to make her adult daughter a dress - brave beginner! - then whatever. She has already bought the fabric which is a rather nice 100% organic cotton jersey so I think she is a few steps ahead of herself.

I think my priority is to make sure they can use the machine properly, as I said, threading, controls, stitches etc, and run through the tools they will need. I will take a sewing pattern along to look at - good idea @Ploshkin, though maybe not this week - I remember how confusing I found them at first. And yes @HenriettaMaria we should do a buttonhole too. @Roger I will make a list, thanks for reminding me. As @WildAtlanticWay says, Madetosew is a great resource for beginners. They will also have the benefit of learning from my past mistakes - lots of those!

These are two very intelligent and resourceful people who just need the basics to get them started and they will be up and off, I'm sure, like Ploshkin's neighbour.

Maybe for the second lesson, if they like, we can run through a simple project - I have a load of craft patterns to choose from. I'll be guided by what they want of course but I'd like to give them a starting base.

Perhaps the most challenging will be teaching two people at once on one machine, especially as his legs aren't going to fit under the desk she's chosen for the sewing table! (She is 5 ft, he is 6ft 6). Tomorrow should be interesting  :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 14:51:00 PM by Vezelay »

WendyW

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 15:36:38 PM »
Give them a "homework" assignment of practicing "sewing"- no thread- along the lines of a sheet of writing paper. When they can do that well, have them draw curvy lines to follow. When one has acquired reasonable steering control, every project will come out SO much better.

Greybird

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 17:26:10 PM »
Tell them not to watch the needle going up and down - it knows what to do and doesn't need supervision. Whilst they're watching the needle the stitching line is all over the place!

Roger

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 19:44:57 PM »
Tell them not to watch the needle going up and down - it knows what to do and doesn't need supervision. Whilst they're watching the needle the stitching line is all over the place!

and you can impale your finger!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2019, 23:06:51 PM »
Basic use of a sewing machine is about watching the foot rather than the needle.  On a plain seam you set the needle down on the stitching line, look at where the cut edge of the fabric is in relation to the ege of the foot and then endeavour to keep it the same all along that seam.

Start with a simple but usable project.  An apron would be good, or maybe a drawstring bag or a plainish cushion cover.  Something where exact fit isn't required and all the effort can go into controlling the machine.  After that be guided by what they want to make.  An A-line skirt is often suggested as one of the simplest garments.  If the preference is for craft items a tote bag or make-up pouch/pencil case might be better to start with rather than plunging in the deep end with patchwork piecing, sandwich making, quilting and binding all to get a finished item
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Flobear

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 09:12:45 AM »
When I taught needlework we always got the students to make items for very small children as they are less critical of a beginner's efforts. The school supported an orphanage in the far east so those who had no-one to make for had a purpose for their efforts.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Vezelay

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 09:47:02 AM »
Food for thought. It's good to have projects I can suggest but it will be their choice how they want to proceed.

I had no formal "beginner" lessons myself. I started by making a dress in very stretchy jersey (no one to tell me it was too difficult) and basically learnt on the job with help from the internet and this - and the previous - forum. I've been to classes when I had a challenging project and needed some hand holding (first shirt with collar and cuffs, first lined jacket). I've learned a lot from my many mistakes so I'm looking forward to passing on what I know so my friends can progress faster.

At one point my friend was talking about making napkins (at least I wouldn't need a pattern  for that  :)) now it's a dress for her grown daughter. Anything is possible!