The Sewing Place

Singer 221

Gernella

Singer 221
« on: December 26, 2019, 14:01:44 PM »
I hate it when someone is looking for a particular machine, invariably I  come across something I like, in this case I saw a Janome 6600, which I lusted on when first out but couldn't afford.

Anyway, still looking I came across this one but have no idea whether a bargain, any good or needed. Does look dinky though.

https://www.woodseatssewingmachinesshop.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=209_63&product_id=1281
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Acorn

Re: Singer 221
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 15:00:10 PM »
They are very desireable - there are quite a few people on here who have them (me included).  Mine was a little under £100 about 3 years ago, but I think that was quite a bargain and it needed a small amount of work.  Other people will have a better idea of current values.

I'd definitely want to see more pictures, and hear more detail, but the box looks good, and so do the extras.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 19:16:26 PM »
I bought a 221 earlier this year. It was serviced and oiled and in very good working order. My only reason for buying was so that I could take it to my sewing group (very lightweight) but still metal and sturdy.  You need to check the bobbin case is intact and that there are some bobbins. They are much slimmer than usual and I am not sure how available they are.  I paid a bit more than this asking price.  There are some good accessories there  :) They also look very good in white! Someone brought one to the sewing group and that's the first time I had ever seen one.  They do a lovely straight stitch but don't do high speed but are very capable. I wouldn't be without mine now.  I love it   <3  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 23:15:36 PM »
£249 does seem to be the right sort of price for a 221 with a decent range of accessories.  Because they are cute and portable they command a higher price than similar condition 201, 99 or 66.  I paid £100 for mine a couple of years from an acquaintance.  I thought it was a bargain but she was expecting rather less so we were both happy.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 14:19:01 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

LeilaMay

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 10:24:56 AM »
If I'm seeing the same machine - then if there is a Swiss Zigger Zagger in the small creamy white box - it's an absolute bargain! I also see 4 bobbins, which is a good number for a starters, they hold a reasonable amount of thread.

Zigger Zaggers come with flat metal cams - either none if you're unlucky, four or ten. A set with all ten cam sold on ebay recently for more than the machine price they're asking here.

If you're near Sheffield, snap it up!  :)

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 11:13:28 AM »
Well it's got a good carrier so should pack up well in another box.    If the buyer offers to pay for courier collection, that should swing it if it supposed to be collection only, especially if they arrange it all.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 11:17:55 AM »
Sheffield is not too far from you if you can get there. I would go get it.  :) :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)