The Sewing Place

Making a dust cover

Sew What?

Re: Making a dust cover
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 10:01:10 AM »
How to sew faux leather. Lots of other good advice on the internet. It's challenging but do-able with the right tools.
Thanks. If you can recommend anything that would come in handy I’m all ears

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 10:07:39 AM »
After checking what IDT is I don’t think it has. It’s a pretty old machine

You can probably get a generic walking foot to fit it.  Just check whether your machine is high shank or low shank.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lachica

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2019, 11:38:11 AM »
Correct, it hasn't got it. I wouldn't worry, they're good machines & it should stitch fine. Still best to try out on something like heavy denim first. Use a jeans needle or a size 16.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 15:53:06 PM »
The bits of advice I would give are:

• don't use leather/leatherette for your first project.  It is unforgiving and MUST be sewn perfectly first time if you are not to be left with rows of perforations having gone wrong and having had to unpick.
  • be careful how you apply fusible interfacing.  You have to press, not iron, it.  In other words, hold the iron on the interfacing, lift the iron and then move it to the next area.  Do not slide the iron else you can wind up with puckers.  Also make sure the iron is at the correct temperature for both the interfacing and the top fabric!

It also strikes me that if you want to pipe the seams as in your photograph you might usefully benefit from an adjustable zipper foot.  Despite its name, this foot is also very handy for getting tight into piping that's in seams.

Sew What?

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2019, 22:04:35 PM »
The bits of advice I would give are:

• don't use leather/leatherette for your first project.  It is unforgiving and MUST be sewn perfectly first time if you are not to be left with rows of perforations having gone wrong and having had to unpick.
  • be careful how you apply fusible interfacing.  You have to press, not iron, it.  In other words, hold the iron on the interfacing, lift the iron and then move it to the next area.  Do not slide the iron else you can wind up with puckers.  Also make sure the iron is at the correct temperature for both the interfacing and the top fabric!

It also strikes me that if you want to pipe the seams as in your photograph you might usefully benefit from an adjustable zipper foot.  Despite its name, this foot is also very handy for getting tight into piping that's in seams.
Piping isnt what I'm aiming for at the mo, that was just to illustrate the general thing I'm going for. I'll look at piping in the future but I need to concentrate more on the basics first