The Sewing Place

Making a dust cover

Sew What?

Making a dust cover
« on: December 26, 2019, 20:26:30 PM »
Ive had this urge to make dust covers for some stuff I have so today I braved the outside and picked up a Pfaff 85 from a nice guy on Gumtree.

Im going to need help, most likely lots of help so here goes.

The first thing Im going to have a go at is essentially a storage "cube" but the measurements will be more like 20cms width, 20cms depth , 10cms height.

• Is this too ambitious for a first project?
    What material(s) should I use to give it strength/rigidity?
    What thread would be best?
    Will I need any extra stuff like special needles etc?
Thanks for any help

Sewgorgeous

Re: Making a dust cover
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 20:57:23 PM »
Perfect for a first project
Maybe a firm/stiff fabric like denim or canvas and you could always use a iron heavy interfacing to keep it rigid
any good quality thread
no special needles if its a thicker fabric use a size 14 or 16

good luck

Sew What?

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 21:40:50 PM »
Perfect for a first project
Maybe a firm/stiff fabric like denim or canvas and you could always use a iron heavy interfacing to keep it rigid
any good quality thread
no special needles if its a thicker fabric use a size 14 or 16

good luck

Thanks for the reminder to use (checks google for what interfacing is) interfacing. Its things like this that I like learning about

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 22:43:07 PM »
For the stiffness needed to support the storage cube you should be looking at heavyweight interfacing; and I would go for the iron-on stuff.
https://www.empressmills.co.uk/fabrics/vilene-range/pelmet-vilene
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sew What?

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 22:50:33 PM »
For the stiffness needed to support the storage cube you should be looking at heavyweight interfacing; and I would go for the iron-on stuff.
https://www.empressmills.co.uk/fabrics/vilene-range/pelmet-vilene

From what I can see iron on looks easier, it really is an experiment at this stage so Im grateful for any info or links. Thanks

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 22:54:03 PM »
Fusible (iron on) fleece like Vilene H640 is also very useful for craft projects like yours. It will give the cube more structure than simple interfacing, though I sometimes use both if I'm using something less sturdy than upholstery fabric. I tend to use whatever recycled stuff I have to hand which could be an old retired curtain or chair cover. And if you search YouTube for "sew a storage cube" you'll come up with a good choice of tutorials to help you. There's more than one method.

In my book you can never have too many storage cubes - you may find you get addicted! :)

StitchinTime

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 22:57:25 PM »
This might be more complicated than you were thinking of for a first project, but there’s a tutorial on the Stitches & Seams blog for making storage cubes.
http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com/2010/08/tutorial-ikea-expedit-diy-bins.html

Sew What?

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 23:24:15 PM »
This might be more complicated than you were thinking of for a first project, but there’s a tutorial on the Stitches & Seams blog for making storage cubes.
http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com/2010/08/tutorial-ikea-expedit-diy-bins.html

Thanks, Ill have a look. Its not actually a storage cube ,more something like this

https://www.prismembroidery.co.uk/product/flex-radio-systems-powergenuis-xl-amplifier-dx-covers-radio-dust-cover/

Most likely out of faux leather type material

Sew What?

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 23:27:39 PM »
Fusible (iron on) fleece like Vilene H640 is also very useful for craft projects like yours. It will give the cube more structure than simple interfacing, though I sometimes use both if I'm using something less sturdy than upholstery fabric. I tend to use whatever recycled stuff I have to hand which could be an old retired curtain or chair cover. And if you search YouTube for "sew a storage cube" you'll come up with a good choice of tutorials to help you. There's more than one method.

In my book you can never have too many storage cubes - you may find you get addicted! :)
With that being the interior does it wear away easy? The thing Im covering has knobs and switches that sit just over an inch in height above the body

Vezelay

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 23:41:28 PM »
I think we may have misinterpreted your "storage cube" @Sew What? The interfacing/ fleece goes between two layers of fabric - outer and lining. If you're going to use faux leather or some other pvc equivalent and the inside won't show then I wouldn't bother with a lining. However, pvc isn't the easiest to sew, certainly on my Janome and I have to use a walking foot or a Teflon foot. I don't know about your Pfaff but others here may.

Just to add that when I've made dust covers for machines I've used some heavy linen upholstery fabric, once a thick scuba - all unlined - and they do the job.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 23:50:16 PM by Vezelay »

Sew What?

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 00:00:37 AM »
I think we may have misinterpreted your "storage cube" @Sew What? The interfacing/ fleece goes between two layers of fabric - outer and lining. If you're going to use faux leather or some other pvc equivalent and the inside won't show then I wouldn't bother with a lining. However, pvc isn't the easiest to sew, certainly on my Janome and I have to use a walking foot or a Teflon foot. I don't know about your Pfaff but others here may.

Just to add that when I've made dust covers for machines I've used some heavy linen upholstery fabric, once a thick scuba - all unlined - and they do the job.

This is what Im aiming for

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 00:26:54 AM »
When I made dust covers for the husband's mixing desks and keyboards I just used heavy denim. But they were just covers and I am wondering if you are thinking of a carrying case? If so, you might be needing canvas and weaving and some kind of padding.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Vezelay

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 00:33:15 AM »
How to sew faux leather. Lots of other good advice on the internet. It's challenging but do-able with the right tools.

Lachica

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 08:13:50 AM »
I can't see from the photo of your machine, but most Pfaffs have IDT which is like a built-in walking foot, so should be fine for faux leather. Suggest a try-out using an old pair of jeans first.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Sew What?

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 09:59:40 AM »
I can't see from the photo of your machine, but most Pfaffs have IDT which is like a built-in walking foot, so should be fine for faux leather. Suggest a try-out using an old pair of jeans first.

After checking what IDT is I don’t think it has. It’s a pretty old machine