The Sewing Place

Bargain Jaguar 489 Overlocker

Wychall

Bargain Jaguar 489 Overlocker
« on: December 27, 2019, 21:17:18 PM »
In case anyone is in the market for an overlocker, I have just bagged a bargain at GUR. A Jaguar 489, normally £379 reduced to £279 with 24 threads thrown in, and a carry case bundled for an extra fiver. This is a special price for Xmas so jump if you are interested. I am well chuffed.
Present 'garage' contains 2 x 28K hand crank, 99K hand crank, 66K hand crank, 66K treadle, 201K treadle, 99K electric, 416, 6104, 401G, Futura 1000, Innovis NV1250 and a Jones CS treadle. New arrival Brother XE1 Stellaire
www.wychallembroidery.com

Lady Violet

Re: Bargain Jaguar 489 Overlocker
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 17:09:54 PM »
I very nearly bought one of these.  They are a bargain.  I think Jaguar were originally made by Frister  Rossmann. 

I have the FR Knitlock overlocker, used regularly for the last 9 years.  In November this year it was not stitching very well.  I decided as it had never been serviced, I would get it done.  I bought the machine from David Drummond in Edinburgh.  With his machines he promises a free courier service (obviously not a free service), to Edinburgh, for the lifetime of the machine. At the time I was very impressed with this offer, as I live in the Midlands.   I contacted him to find out the cost of a service.  I was very surprised when he quoted £150 plus parts if needed.  We then had a discussion whether or not it was worth servicing taking in to account the £150 cost.  I was on the verge of buying the new overlocker, but at the last minute decided to sleep on it.

The following day I mentioned to an acquaintance my dilemma.  She recommended a machine repair service not too far away.  The cost was £60, I got the machine back a few days later and it is running like new.

A bad start always has a good ending ☘