The Sewing Place

Old Viking won't zig-zag

WendyW

Old Viking won't zig-zag
« on: December 28, 2019, 02:12:56 AM »
I've been watching for an older Viking machine to purchase. One popped up on my local Craigslist for $40, but the seller states that while the straight stitch works, it will not zig-zag. Does anyone know what type of repair this might need and if it would be expensive? Here's the link if you want to see the machine.

Craigslist Viking

Sewbusy

Re: Old Viking won't zig-zag
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 07:24:16 AM »
Might be something as simple as user error. The listing suggests that the seller doesn't 'know' the machine as an owner/user would.

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 11:56:14 AM »
Honestly unless you have a Husqvana service repair man who will look at a machine this age, I wouldn't buy it.

They are one make of machine which it is extremely difficult to sort out yourself, they were never intended to be "tinkered with" - they are pieces of precise engineering.

I have tried, and failed a couple of times, and learnt my lesson  :(

Sorry to be so down-beat, but that's how I've found them

Deafoldbat

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 18:51:05 PM »
For a minute I imagined an elderly Norseman, possibly not drunk enough to zigzag...then I realised this was machine talk. :|

Roger

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 14:31:44 PM »
my 500 wasnt very good at zigzagging when I got it - once I opened it, I found it was a ton of of thread and grot in the swing needle mechanism,

If the machine is all metal its probably fixable - if its got plastic parts these may have completely broken or worn...
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Missie

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 16:58:38 PM »
For a minute I imagined an elderly Norseman, possibly not drunk enough to zigzag...then I realised this was machine talk. :|

Hahahaha @Deafoldbat  So did I and was going to suggest more rum or mead  :P

arrow

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 15:17:13 PM »
I see the add is gone now, but I would give an old Husqvarna a chance. I know the old 19 and 21 are prone to freeze up and need quite a bit of oiling to shift smoothly again. It's relatively common for these to be stuck in reverse or not zigzagging properly, it is all about tentative, repeated oiling. These are very nice machines when they are sorted out, and all gears are metal. Knobs and cams are plastic. It's not always easy to do more than clean up and minor repairs on these. I think the race and hook area requires special tools to be fully disassembled. The ones I worked on only needed cleaning, oiling, and new belts for the motor.

The later models I don't know much about. Some are easier to clean and sort out in the hook and bobbin case area. Unless there's something major, they often run fine after a cleaning and DIY service. You have to oil the gears, even if they are so called lubrication free. After 40 to 60 years, the sintered gears are in desperate need of new oil. The advantage with these are the stitch pattern cassettes, if you look for stretchy stitches it's hard to find all metal models among any brand. New belts can be a problem to find, at least the cleated ones. I guess these are the models LeilaMay warn you about, if gears crack, macine is missing driving belts, etc it cam be more that just a bit of work to have a fully working machine.

I once bought a non-working Elna Supermatic for about $40, all it needed was a lot of cleaning and oiling. It sewed fine when I got the correct bobbin, and ran even better when I replaced the friction wheel on the motor. Some times it's worth taking a chance; I got a machine with freearm zigzagger and stretchy stitches.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 16:41:40 PM by arrow »

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 15:45:55 PM »
Hell @arrow . Nice to see you back!

WendyW

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 16:02:10 PM »
I haven't looked in a few days and didn't know it was gone. Bummer. I'll keep watching and take a chance on the next good possibility. Thanks for the useful info, @arrow!