The Sewing Place

Coat

UttaRetch

Coat
« on: December 28, 2019, 15:32:15 PM »
As I was cutting through Debenhams today, I passed the coats and this

caught my eye.  I tried on a SIZE 14, which fitted nicely and I was even able to button it up.  All was well until I saw the back where the bodice had bloused due to my short-waist.  However, it made me see that I could change the pleat on a pattern I already have.

Sewingsue

Re: Coat
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 15:47:47 PM »
Smart style but yes it would need to fit properly.
Looks like you have found a new project.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 16:05:56 PM »
I like the look of coats but never wear one. I can't drive in a coat and as I rarely venture far from the car, I can never be bothered to put one on. Shame as I see many I like
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 16:22:24 PM »
I have two coats, one long, one 3/4, both black and usually only worn at funerals.
Rest of the time I wear either a long padded coat or a short padded one and when I do wear one of the 'proper' coats I find them heavy.
So part of me likes smart coats but the rest of me goes for padded comfort and by the people I see around town especially at this time of year I am not alone.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 17:35:07 PM »
A winter coat has been on the cards for about the last five years and I have several patterns from which to choose.  My sewing room will give me a chance to wrangle all that fabric without having to get down on the floor.

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 19:54:50 PM »
I recently made Vogue1649 which is a copy of an Alexander McQueen coat and was really pleased with the result. I like coats and have made several.  Your one looks like a nice style @UttaRetch . I'm sure you will get a good result.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 21:41:46 PM »
I'd love to see the coat @Tamnymore.  I'll have to dig out all my coat patterns and then decide.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 21:57:43 PM »
I have a coat to make - I have a lovely woven wool-type fabric in shades of grey, and a paisley, shimmery lining.  I have a number of patterns, but I am being very indecisive.  I love the style of that Debenhams coat, but will probably go for something a bit less fitted.  I'm quite keen on StyleArc's McKenzie, although I would make it longer.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 22:25:53 PM »
I'll try to get some photos of my coat posted soon @UttaRetch . I'm very behind with my diary.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde