The Sewing Place

Jungle January contest - 1.01.2020 - 31.01.2020

Ann

Re: Jungle January contest - 1.01.2020 - 31.01.2020
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2020, 21:30:24 PM »
@indigotiger, I love your blouse. The design is lovely and I love the print. The buttons are a perfect match. It will look perfect under your jumpers.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Manuela

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2020, 22:44:59 PM »

@Manuela, I have some sparkly red snake print fabric I'd like to use but only in small amounts with plain fabric as its quite a statement. Would that still count? (I'm thinking black pants with a snakeskin strip down the legs, or a black top with snakeskin shoulders, alone its too Vegas for my life!)

@SewRuthieSews, this contest is really more about letting the animal print fabrics shine, not be used as small parts of a project. So, your idea wouldn’t really fit there.

renita

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2020, 08:01:02 AM »
Lovely blouse @indigotiger!I love your creative solutions to the issues you had.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2020, 11:19:51 AM »
@Manuela, OK cool I will have to think of something else then/sit this one out. Cheers Ruth

UttaRetch

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2020, 11:56:27 AM »
There are plenty of other contest opportunities.

indigotiger

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2020, 05:00:36 AM »
Indigotiger's Entry:

I made a blouse, using Heather Ross animal-printed cotton "West Hills Ponies"

Pattern used:La Fred's (original, now OOP) Athena Blouse pattern

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc:  I reshaped collar tips from pointed to scalloped,  FBA to reshape front, added back yoke and additional width across back pleated into yoke for greater arm freedom of movement forward, added peplum to increase hip width, extended sleeves to mid-length, added cuff bands)

blouse on hanger

blouse as worn

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry

BajaSusana

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2020, 20:25:34 PM »

Baja Susana has entered the contest!
This is my entry #1. I may enter a second item.I just accepted an offer on my house and may not have time to sew anything else.
 The pattern is Lutterloh supplement 315 pattern 125 from the most recent release.

I am also showing off my label sewn into the side of the contrast trim.
 It is a duster length  vest with a gathered blouson waist and contrast trim. It also is pictured with patch pockets. I did not like the look of the pockets , so I left them off.
The main purple and black "cheetah" print is a poly chiffon. The contrast trim ois a cotton Lycra knit. I chose it because it would give a crisper finish and keep the vest from looking like a sack.
Here are views of the finished garment that is perfect for wearing with jeans . The vest ups the style of the jeans but is not heavy and stiff for shopping. (note:Sears is a high end store here)

And with a change of clothes to elegant black and the addition of a scarf this vest becomes  high style and ready for cocktails at 8:00.

The bodice and skirt are both gathered and with the addition of a belt  it becomes a blouson. This is not my favorite look. But I have shown it above belted to illustrate the blouson effect.
Here are a back and  side view to show the gathers.

I basted all of the seams and then used a four thread overlock stitch on my serger. To finish the armholes, hem and scarf I used a narrow rolled hem. Since I did not have any French nuns around to hand stitch the hems, I used the rolled hem foot on my sewing machine to finish the armholes, hem and scarf. Once you master this technique it is so much fun to do. This is a more professional and higher end finish than a rolled hem on a serger. Here is an image of the vest armhole and a closeup of the stitching. And I would have lost time liberating the nuns from their  heavy, hot habits, and sticking them in bikinis and teaching them to surf!

I am very pleased with this garment. I am going to a fancy fundraiser for our dog rescue and I shall wear it.
I really had no issues with this  project. The polychiffon could have been a nightmare, but it was very cooperative.
This appears to be a simple garment, but it took a lot of time. I sewed slowly to keep the fabric under control.
I uses the straight stitch needle plate on my machine. that eliminated the machine gobbling up the fabric at the start of a seam.
 I hope that you like my vest as well as I!

UttaRetch

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2020, 20:31:01 PM »
Great photoshoot @BajaSusana.  I'm still not a fan of animal prints, but your duster and matching scarf are great.

Greybird

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2020, 21:11:59 PM »
You look lovely in it!

fajita

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2020, 23:23:46 PM »
@BajaSusana ” And I would have lost time liberating the nuns from their  heavy, hot habits, and sticking them in bikinis and teaching them to surf!”

Am I missing something, here?

BajaSusana

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2020, 23:26:23 PM »
@fajita Hermes scarves are ( or were) painstakingly hemmed by hand by French nuns.
And if I had any French nuns around in my tropical paradise, well...

renita

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2020, 04:38:44 AM »
Renita's Entry #1 - The Super-Boring but Necessary Ironing Board Cover

Pattern used: the old cover - laid out flat, with a bit extra added to it, because I thought it was a bit skimpy on the sides sometimes.

I used an old roman blind, which was lined with calico.  I left the two layers stitched together and just cut the rings off the tape, hoping that the thickness of the two fabrics would be enough to 'hide' any bump from the tape.  That worked well.  Just double turned the edges, threaded a bit of string through the tube/hem, put it on the board and tightened the string.

Challenges:
Nothing too challenging about this. 
- I did a single row of stitching at the corners and pulled it in so that the hem was easier to fold under. 
- I managed to get my string all the way through the hem - it is an exceptionally long way around an ironing board cover, pulling and pushing a safety pin.
- I didn't secure the string well enough when I was fitting the cover, so had to unpick a bit of the hem, where I could feel the end of the string had darted back to (I'd already removed the safety pin, of course).  There was no way I was pulling it all the way back out and starting again, so I just felt around, reattached my safety pin to the end of the string and then was super-careful not to lose it on the second fitting.
-Final challenge - taking a photo of an ironing board that looks exciting...  that's the old curtain still in a heap on the floor.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

renita

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2020, 05:38:52 AM »
Renita's Entry #2: The Super-Wild Brunch Coat/House Coat/Robe?

Pattern & Fabric Used:  The pattern is Style 2254, which I originally used for a school project back in (don't laugh) the 80s - possibly out of print now? 

The fabric is a crazy (for me) silk-blend with cream satin and chocolate burn-out sections in a zebra stripe pattern, then over-printed with all sorts of animal prints in a variety of colours - browns, pinks and jungle green.  It is not my usually cup-of-tea, but at the time of purchase I thought the fabric was in my colours, I should be brave and it might be good for a scarf.  The satin sections make it sit/hang really oddly, for that purpose, so instead I'm going for the glamour of a satin robe-y thing.  Something to wear in the house.  I'm too shy to wear something like this in public.

Construction:
I pretty much followed the directions altered everything. 
-Narrowed the shoulders by about 5cm and took up the sleeves by 20-25cm, so that it wouldn't hang off my shoulder so far and would finish just below the elbow. 
-Used french seams.
-Rather than apply a wide lace trim, as per the instructions, I went for a simpler (style-wise) bias bound edge at the front - I wanted something that didn't clash with the fabric.  And the sleeves just got a simple turned hem.

Challenges:
-Slippery fabric that went from open mesh to a firm satin made sewing anything resembling a straight line impossible.  Even when pressed before-hand, my hems seem to wobble all over the place.  I'm sure there's some orientation where they're straight - they may just never achieve that orientation again...
-Wearing something that is so glamorous will be a challenge.  I feel I should have a pair of high-heeled slippers at the very least.  Or a swimming costume, big hat, sunglasses and high-heels.  And a pool.  In Hollywood.  It's great for twirling though. :)  It makes me giggle.  I wore my satin nightie and this robe all day once I finished it, just so I could keep giggling. 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

(ETA: For modesty's sake, I'm not modelling it with my nightie - you don't need to be subjected to my knees.  I'm wearing it over my brown linen dress from SWAKOP)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:40:36 AM by renita »

Sakar

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2020, 07:34:14 AM »
@indigotiger @BajaSusana Very nice work! I admire people, who can sew such wonderful clothes!! :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 07:50:14 AM by Sakar »

UttaRetch

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2020, 08:47:21 AM »
That's a great cover up @renita.  I bet your knees are better than mine.