The Sewing Place

Do you have any used machine suggestions for an embroidery beginner?

Rhapso

I've never used one before but I'm thinking of getting a used entry level specifically embroidery machine.
The machines I have seen at the shows for instance look very advanced and would probably be wasted
on me and I've never tried one.

I would use it for decorating home furnishings and fashion accessories with lettering and designs a little more interesting
or unusual than the stitches that come with an ordinary sewing machines. 

I have Windows 2000 on an old laptop so something that would be compatible with that could work.
Janome for instance seem to produce so many different models that I don't know where to start.

Help please!

Ohsewsimple

Re: Do you have any used machine suggestions for an embroidery beginner?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 14:51:27 PM »
@Rhapso it’s probably a good idea to get a machine that takes usb sticks.  Some of the older machines didn’t.  This way you can download and transfer designs easier.  Otherwise you definitely need some kind of software and that is bumping up the price. 
It isn’t the embroidery machine that needs to be compatible with your computer but any embroidery software has to. 
I would suggest you go to a dealer and see if they have any second hand machines.  Now would be a good time as many people get an upgrade for Xmas and trade in their old one.  A dealer will give you good advice, help and guidance for your specific needs.  And I would expect any machine they sell to have been serviced and have a short guarantee on it. 
Be very wary of buying this sort of thing on EBay etc.  I’ve seen some terrible stuff sold on there and many people get ripped off. 

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 14:56:58 PM »
Hellloooo there

You sound like me a few years ago when I first purchased Elvis ... who was of course a Brother 750E embroidery machine.

I have just upgraded but found him (or the 800E which is the newer model) an excellent place to start!
It has a 7 x 5" embroidery area which is quite sufficient for most home uses ... in fact since I have upgraded to Elvistoo (An innovis V3) I have rarely used the super duper big hoops it comes with ... Tho I know I will ... and have in fact bought a 7 x 5 frame for E2 as its a very usable size to work with.

I sold Elvis for £500 (without the software which ran just fine on my windows 7)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 18:54:39 PM »
Get one with as big a hoop as you can afford - you'll regret getting a small hoop size!
I think my Brother one is better than the Janome I had first.
  • Ann likes this

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 19:42:03 PM »
I second what Bodge said - go for the biggest hoop size you can afford.

I bought a Husqvarna Viking Topaz 25, and I am very happy with it.  I chose Husqvarna Viking because I was used to a Pfaff machine (Pfaff is now HV).  And also because Mr Acorn has a Husqvarna Viking lawn mower, and I thought it was funny.

Mainly, though, because at that point it had the largest sewing area for the price (150mm x 240mm).  I was lucky enough to get a practically new used one from a dealer with a massive price reduction (I paid £800 against a list price of £1599).  It had been returned by someone almost immediately after purchase because they wanted - guess what - a larger sewing area.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ann

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 11:48:36 AM »
I second the suggestions you get a machine that uses a USB stick to hold your designs and to buy a machine that has the largest hoop you may think you need. 5x7 is a good size.

I have the Husqvarna Viking Diamond (10 years old) and the 300x350mm hoop came with it as part of a promotion package. I have used it twice and am hoping to use it this year. I use a lot of the hoops that came with the machine and love them all.

Software is what gives you the ability to play with designs. I bought Premier +2 in December as I couldn't use what I had (5-D Professional) on my Mac. I love to play with it and have already used designs and fonts to make a winter wall hanging. Premier +2 is pricey so look for something that is cheaper and you can add components to it. Embrilliance is one such program. Another is Embird. 
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Nuttywife59

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 11:15:28 AM »
As the others have said make sure you get a machine that will take a usb and at least a 5 X 7 in design area. If you have any dealers local to you it would be worth paying them a visit and ask for a demo and advice on their machines.   They should also offer surport and lesson on how to use it to get you started.  My local dealer has demo day on the last Sunday of the month that anyone who has bought an embroidery machine from them can go to where they show you different features on the machines to get you using them.