The Sewing Place

Softer thicker dress net - any ideas?

Marniesews

Softer thicker dress net - any ideas?
« on: December 31, 2019, 16:06:06 PM »
After responding to a post in the cafe I thought I'd ask here too.

I'm searching with no success so far for some white dress net of more substance than the usual dress net, more akin to tutu net but with a soft, flexible hand. It's for the top layer of a ballroom skirt onto which I want to appliqué beaded lace motifs. I want the motifs to float on top of a satin skirt layer so I want the net to have some strength but to flow smoothly in motion. Cotton net was mentioned in the other post which I thought might be it but I've had no success at all finding it and I don't want anything approaching yarn netting.

Any suggestions?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sewbusy

Re: Softer thicker dress net - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 23:19:30 PM »
Try looking for tulle instead, more like the fabric used for bridal veils.

You can get it in silk, or cotton, both expensive or nylon.

Cotton Net is the original hexagonal net and is also known as Bobbinet and was used for lots of different lace techniques as in Tambour Lace, Coggeshall Lace and many others.

https://www.whaleys-bradford.ltd.uk/bobbinet-cotton-ak9-white

Whaleys also do a Nylon Bobbinet which is a lot cheaper. and they do send samples on request which were free the last time I used them.

Bobbinet shrinks quite a lot so it's recommended you wash it first.

eclectic

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 09:47:35 AM »
Hi Marnie, why not contact Suzanne from tutusandtextiles, she has different nets and also knowledge and experience so I bet she could steer you in the right direction

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 18:23:32 PM »
Both good ideas. Thank you. :)

Really good to know the correct term @Sewbusy thank you very much for that. I'll definitely get the samples and try washing to see if that has some effect but the price is an issue. I need 3m min for the top layer (full length circular skirt) – I usually round up in case of short measure or uneven cutting but I hadn't budgeted for £75+. It'll still help to know if that is the stuff I'm after.

I'll do that too @eclectic. I get my rubber tape from her and have had a few other bits and pieces so I know she's very knowledgeable. Thank you for the suggestion.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sewbusy

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 07:02:28 AM »
@Marniesews, I been thinking of this and you may like to have a look on here to get some ideas of the different fabrics used for an overlay. Net/Tulle, Organza, Chiffon etc.

https://www.harrington-fabric-and-lace.co.uk/plain-fabric

Look at the Plain Fabric and the Plain Tulle and Net. Content e.g silk , cotton, polyester, nylon, how they feel (handle) etc.
I presume you are looking for white or ivory, but I could be wrong, however they also show the colour range the fabrics are available in.

They have a large range of fabrics and they give pretty good descriptions.
Prices are on there so if you do find something suitable you can compare prices elsewhere.

Not saying to purchase from there but it will give you something to compare when you look at prices elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:45:25 AM by Sewbusy »

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 23:14:24 PM »
Thank you @Sewbusy that's a kind thought.

Yes, I've used many of these (chiffon isn't my favourite to sew  :S) but when I handled the DSI dress it stood out as something rather different for me. It was a good carrier for appliqués and like the other nets with no sheen it's virtually invisible when white on white. Most of all its weight kept it flush with the satin skirt below so it didn't float up in the air flow during turns and spins as the soft nets do and yet it did undulate quite sinuously along with the soft contours of the satin, which the stiff ones don't. I didn't recall having seen this on sale anywhere but I didn't know the term bobbinet then - I do now thanks to you.  :)

Even with the extra width I can't cut a full circle; I quite like the idea of a panelled skirt though with a flare lower down so I'll play around with that to see if it could help but I'll try some experimental washing of heavier polyester/nylon nets too. I'm going to think a bit more on this while I keep a wary eye open for an unexpected sales/discount opportunity of bobbinet. Got to live in hope and be adaptable!  ;)

Franki

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 13:28:50 PM »
Love to see it when you’ve finished  :)

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 15:25:15 PM »
It's still in the planning @Franki, for a competition in July but I'll try to get some good pictures when it's done.

Bobbinet is clearly what I was describing so I've sent for some samples but I don't know if it'll within the budget as the cotton in particular is several times the price of tulle & dress net which is what I'd budgeted for. If not, I have a dress net that will substitute if necessary and doubtless no-one else would even know.

Sewbusy

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 17:07:40 PM »
@Marniesews  How much Bobbinet do you actually need for the dress?

Somewhere in my stash I have a large piece of Cotton Bobbinet, it' is/was old English colour, very pale Ivory. It's been washed twice so there shouldn't be any more shrinkage and the colour is much paler, but it could be soaked in a mild bleach solution to whiten it further. I think it's about 3 yards x 2 yards.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 18:08:19 PM by Sewbusy »

Marniesews

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 17:14:08 PM »
4 metres for an ankle length ballroom circle skirt so £85 for just that one layer even with the 3m+ discount. I can't get a full circle from the width and the diameter/overall length of the semi-circle will be about 180-190cm.

We'll see.  -<

Sewbusy

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 18:12:42 PM »
Oops I was going to upload a photo but apparently my subscription has expired! I'll sort that and if your interested I'll post a photo.
What weight of satin are you looking at?

Lollipop

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 20:25:47 PM »
@Marniesews you might like 27gsm Italian net which is lightweight and very resilient. It's lovely to work with and you can get some colours in 3m width. I can send you some to have a feel if you would like.
Was Sewnanny

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 15:08:04 PM »
It's just the net for a top layer that I'm researching right not @Sewbusy, not quite determined what I shall have as the layer below yet.

That's kind @Lollipop . I've been able to get 3m widths for most of my others, which is useful. I'll pm you. Thank you

Marniesews

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 00:05:46 AM »
Well the two bobbinet samples came along with another net. They are all very fine in comparison to the original net I liked the look of, the holes in that are probably 10 times bigger and the thread like  regular Gütermann thread.

I'm thinking that if I don't find this type of net at an economic price I will use the white net that I've used before with some body but not stiff. I can get that in 300cm width too.