The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s year-long stash-busting challenge - 01.01.2020 - 31.12.2020

fourkid

@fourkid, I spotted that it still says ‘stash busting 2019’ in your signature, then I realised that I didn’t change the code on the title post. I’ve done that just now...
Oops -  :|
Stash Busting 2020
Goal: 100 yards
So far: 8 1/2 yards

SewRuthieSews

I've set my stash busting spreadsheet up with metres instead of yards and at 10 times instead of 2.

btw If you want to use it to do a complete stash reduction, measure all your fabric and enter a purchase yardage with this total as the first line. You'll then see it come off that total as you enter in the sewn garments.

I have no intention of doing that but I might put a nominal no of metres in as a starting point (say 20 as that would cover the fabrics I bought on 24th December)

Renegade Sewist

@Renegade Sewist, I've just firmed up my Christmas and October sewing plans. I have a tub of Halloween fabric I need to sew up. Now to figure out what days I want to sew Christmas and Halloween in January. So, it's 5 days Christmas each month to the end of November and 3 days Halloween with months having 31 days. That leaves me with lots of other things I can sew during the month. Thank you for the suggestion.

@Ann  I'm glad you like the idea! I was just marking my calendar. What I did, and plan this time as well, is using the 25th and 31st and keying off those for my days. In months I did both C'mas and Hallowe'en I usually ended C'mas on the 25th and might do fewer days. It all depended on the month and how busy it was.

I enjoy cooking a few appropriate dishes for it, playing C'mas music, a cup of cocoa and a tiny bit of super easy decorating. Helps with my mood.  0_0  There's all those foods we only make at Christmas and new recipes to try out.

I think 23-25 and 30-31 this month for me. I have quilted throw WIP's for both.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ann

@Ann  I'm glad you like the idea! I was just marking my calendar. What I did, and plan this time as well, is using the 25th and 31st and keying off those for my days. In months I did both C'mas and Hallowe'en I usually ended C'mas on the 25th and might do fewer days. It all depended on the month and how busy it was.

I enjoy cooking a few appropriate dishes for it, playing C'mas music, a cup of cocoa and a tiny bit of super easy decorating. Helps with my mood.  0_0  There's all those foods we only make at Christmas and new recipes to try out.

I think 23-25 and 30-31 this month for me. I have quilted throw WIP's for both.

@Renegade Sewist, I'm going to steal your idea for dates as they are so appropriate. I didn't get that far. I may have to fudge a bit with appointments and day trips.

I got my machines home yesterday afternoon and will set them up today. I have to hand hem DGS's school pants today and then I can sew. I'm doing my Christmas early this month as I'm excited to get it sewn. Will settle down next month. Halloween this month will be a wall hanging.

We don't eat a lot of fancy foods at Christmas. But I can make DH his favorite cookies. I can play Christmas music off my phone if I want to. I'm really looking forward to this.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ann

@SewRuthieSews, what a nice lot of fabric you bought. Love the plaid. Can't wait to see what you are going to make from this lot of fabric.

My copy of stash buster is set in meters also and at 100 times rather than 2. I am really trying to sew down the stash. I know I will buy some fabric to finish up projects.

I'm not doing any wardrobe planning yet as I chose to focus on the craft/quilting fabrics. It's 2 fold -- I want the craft/quilting fabrics gone and I'm loosing weight. It is harder to find nice garment fabrics here in NS so I'm holding onto the ones I have for a lovely wardrobe.
Stash Busting 2023

WendyW

My stash is beyond overflowing it's designated space, and there is no way I'm going to measure it all. However, I am trying to sew down the overflow. Already this year I've completed one charity quilt top from a pile of triangles and matching pieces that took up residence on my ironing board at least 1.5yrs ago. SO nice to have my entire ironing board clear again!  I'm currently working on a quilt for a friend that uses up much of the blue scraps I've been saving for a monochromatic quilt. (And I found another half-done charity quilt buried in THAT pile!) I'll post pics later of the overflow pile. I'll consider myself a winner if it's all contained, one way or another, by the end of the year.

Tamnymore

I need to join this as my stash overfloweth, yea verily. My recent attempts at selfless sewing resulted in 2 dresses for DD. Dress #1 is fine but despite much taking in and alteration dress #2 did not suit so I'm letting out this one to its maximum extent and I'll wear it.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

MitchOfTheNorth

OK, I'm in.  If I'm honest, I probably need to join more than once - yes, it's reached that state.  I expect the stretch pile will be the biggest hurdle as it used for the smallest clothes - bathing suits and booty shorts don't take much.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Ann

I tested my sewing machine and it's purring like a kitten. These were sewn while I was testing. The last bits I cut out from the 2.5 meters of Christmas fabric I'm working on.

We use mug rugs all the time so they will be nice for next Christmas.
Stash Busting 2023

Marniesews

I've used about 40m of crin from my stash over the last few days, I had to stop myself from buying new by using slightly different different types on each of the three layers but it's actually really effective. Does that count or is it limited to fabrics only?

There will be stash fabric being used for the next project in a few days though.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Manuela

@Marniesews, non-native English speaker here, what is ‘crin’?

Marniesews

You probably know it as horsehair braid. Crin is an abbreviation of crinoline which is the most frequently used name for it in the UK. With the ballroom dresses especially (it's used in some Latin skirts too) I've amassed a stash of different colours & widths (1"-6") in 33yd rolls so it soon mounts up.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ann

I set aside the Christmas sewing to test a pattern for a designer of doll clothing. I finally decided on a fabric that has been in the stash for over 10 years. I'm sure it was a piece that I got suckered into buying prior to retiring. It is perfect for this dress.

I have about 1.5 meters of this fabric and the dress takes 1 meter. I will use it up as I don't want to put it back into the doll's stash. A simple dress will be perfect project for the remaining piece. I'll knit a sweater to go with it getting another ball of yarn out of the yarn stash.

For this dress,  I need to buy lace for the neckline in cream. Before I head out to get it, I'm going to measure what I need for the next project so I can use up what is in the stash and not over buy. Wish me luck. 

Stash Busting 2023

UttaRetch

Looks interesting @Ann. What is the pattern?

Ann

@UttaRetch, it is called the Beret Sleeve dress. It won't be published for another two to three weeks. I belong to a group who tests patterns for designers of doll patterns. This dress sits off almost off the shoulders and is quite cute for an 1830's dress.

Got the lining sewn today and am ready to tackle the sleeves. They are almost a circle so will be heavily gathered. I will have to put on the arm bands before I gather the sleeves up. That will be Wednesday when we will be stuck in with heavy snow that is suppose to fall all day.
Stash Busting 2023