The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s year-long stash-busting challenge - 01.01.2020 - 31.12.2020

SewRuthieSews

I've been sewing on and off for 30+ years and buy fabric when I see it as its a bit variable where I live.
A good purge of wardrobe and fabric would probably be a good thing this year too, but..... that would take away from sewing time.

Celia

Yes I think I should join in I too would like to have a much smaller stash, my problem is I don’t wear as many clothes as I used to now that I only work one day a week. 
I am not the sort of person who can sit at home wearing a nice dress or skirt and tights etc I spend too much time cleaning floors and climbing into attics etc as well as having a young cat.
How do you deal with what to do with the fabric if you don’t have a need for the clothes?

fourkid

Must. Use. Stash. I did pretty well in 2019. I think I only bought one or two pieces of fabric that I had a specific need for a specific project. I have way more stash than I ever want to track ahead of time. But I added Ann's suggested lines to my signature and I will try to faithfully track 2020 stash busting. There is also great need to join in the UFO tracking. Le sigh.
Stash Busting 2020
Goal: 100 yards
So far: 8 1/2 yards

fourkid

How do you deal with what to do with the fabric if you don’t have a need for the clothes?

Accessories, home decorating, sewing for charity, or relatives and friends, quilts.
Stash Busting 2020
Goal: 100 yards
So far: 8 1/2 yards

Manuela

Selfless sewing for friends, family members, charities, etc..?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 13:39:39 PM by Manuela »

BrendaP

My fabric is overflowing again so I think I'll do the spreadsheet again.

https://sewjourners.net/2018/01/02/stash-shrinker/

I'm not really one for being organised enough to keep going with a spreadsheet, and I certainly don't have an inventory of what I have  :o  but I have downloaded that spreadsheet.  I changed the units to metres and then entered the one bit of sewing that I've done this year; the cushion cover kit from Santa @Acorn which I estimated as being 1m - and it tells me that I can buy another 0.5 m of fabric  0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Starryfish

I have sorted my stash today, and filled in the spreadsheet, more or less. I have 42 m of usable fabric, not counting lining. I will add lining if I have to buy any more.

Looking at the extended wardrobe  competition, I only need to buy two lengths to have enough to make the             
Spring /Summer and one length for the Autumn/Winter. I like this sort of sewing so will be entering.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Ann

Thank you @Manuela for fixing the first entry to include what I missed.

I cut out the first lot of the Christmas fabric yesterday. It took me two days to get the measurements correct for the Christmas tree skirt and the end table toppers.

This is what is left over from 2.5 meters of fabric.

This afternoon I made a pattern for a table topper for the bottom shelf of the table the tree stands on. It has been cut out of the light grey along with the mug rug pieces. The dark waits to be pieced and then cut out along with the mug rug pieces.

This is the remaining 5 meters that will be sewn up for the dining area and kitchen. I have lots of ideas floating in my head.

Once the measuring is done it won't take long to make these items. I'm going for simple ideas as I really don't like anything too fussy.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Renegade Sewist

@Ann I think it's a great idea sewing for Christmas now during that sad sort of post C'mas lull we have while it's still too cold to be out much and the happiness of C'mas is still shining down upon us. It will be so nice next year, late November, to be able to pull out all these fresh new coordinates and do your seasonal transition.

Your color scheme is so nice and fresh. I love seeing things with cardinals on them. When I was a kid you'd see lots of holiday stuff with cardinals on it.

I might steal your idea. I did something years ago that worked. Christmas get's overwhelming. We think we should do so much, get pulled in all directions and the magic disappears. So I did Christmas monthly. Usually for 3 or 4 days, I "did" C'mas. I played music, set up a table top tree, made a holiday dish or two, baked a cookie I hadn't gotten to and crafted. I also gave OH some little gift. It was nice, Christmas was actually happier because of it and I got more done.

I'm a huge fan of Hallowe'en and did the same thing in the months with a 31st. Two or three days of Hallowe'en crafting, creepy foods, my antique Hallowe'en pieces out. Bliss.

I've been thinking of doing it again. You sewing up Christmas now just sounds so good.

BTW: your signature still says 2019.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:37:30 AM by Renegade Sewist »
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Celia

Quote from: Manuela link=topic=9039.msg152431#msg152431 date=1577972256
Selfless sewing for friends, family members, charities, etc..?

Yes I like this idea and do a lot of knitting that I give away either to friends or charity but I find it more difficult with sewing. I do sometimes sew boxer shorts for my son but I do not have any other family to sew for and almost all my friends sew, my best friends are professional dressmakers so I really can’t complete.

If anyone has any ideas for charity sewing that might use what is mainly a dressmakers stash I would love some ideas.  I seem to have a lot of fabric suitable for dresses and maybe skirts, most of which are stretch fabrics. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 13:32:01 PM by Celia »

Ann

@Renegade Sewist, love your idea to get things done over a few days at Christmas and Halloween. I usually do baking over a couple of days and decorate over 2 days. I did a lot of Christmas sewing in Oct-Dec. By Dec. 16, I was exhausted. That created the change of attitude in what I'm doing this year. And my first choice was Christmas.

I love cardinals and have for many years. I display them at Christmas in the tree and on an antique server. They can be seen here in Nova Scotia which is pretty exciting for this cardinal lover. You will see more cardinal fabric pop up while I'm doing Christmas fabric.

I was really wanting to have a finished project and was driving myself nuts. I finally decided to do a wall hanging using a painter's canvas I had bought. I had the fabric (bought in December) and made a back drop for the Nativity scene. It took longer to put on the hot fix crystals than it did to cover the painter's canvas. But I had 2 hours of creating something out of Christmas fabric while I have no machines.

I have plans to make a third one. Another one with cardinals on it.
Stash Busting 2023

Renegade Sewist

@Ann that is a fabulous backdrop for your Nativity. Very clever.

It did work well spending time monthly "celebrating" Christmas and Hallowe'en. Doing 3 days per month Jan-Oct to do C'mas recipes, music and crafting/sewing was fun. A little tabletop tree, tiny string of lights and music and the mood is set. There's never time to fix all the foods we want in December and really, who needs that many treats all at once? This gave me 30 days spread out to enjoy.

Then doing Hallowe'en only in months with a 31st gives me 5 months before October to get some things made. I play my spooky music Cd's. It's silly and fun. Really looking forward to it this year.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

snoozi soozi

I've had a look through my stash this morning and there isn't as much as I thought. There are some pieces that I honestly have no idea why I bought, and have no idea what they'll be used for  :S

I will tell myself that once there is visible reduction and plenty has been made I can look at purchasing more but to be much more mindful  >:)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Ann

@Renegade Sewist, I've just firmed up my Christmas and October sewing plans. I have a tub of Halloween fabric I need to sew up. Now to figure out what days I want to sew Christmas and Halloween in January. So, it's 5 days Christmas each month to the end of November and 3 days Halloween with months having 31 days. That leaves me with lots of other things I can sew during the month. Thank you for the suggestion.
Stash Busting 2023

Manuela

@fourkid, I spotted that it still says ‘stash busting 2019’ in your signature, then I realised that I didn’t change the code on the title post. I’ve done that just now...