The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s year-long stash-busting challenge - 01.01.2020 - 31.12.2020

Ann

The doll's dress is done and 1 meter used up. It was a time consuming item to make.

I am almost finished a market tote. A lot of work also. It took 2.3 meters of fabric and 1 meter of fusible fleece. I just have the handles to add and it will be done.

And the pocket on the inside.

I have to make more piping for DD when I am done and then it will be onto Christmas sewing Dec. 23. Looking forward to that.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

wrenkins

I love your bags @Ann. They are so neat and precise.  :loveit: I'm also amazed how much fabric they consume!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

snoozi soozi

Beautiful dress @Ann and your bag is way nicer than my shopping bags  0_0
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Ann

Thank you @snoozi soozi and @wrenkins.

The reusable bags use a lot of more fabric as I line them all. A plain bag uses 1.7 meters of fabric and .5 meters of craft weight interfacing. It only goes up from there. I feel if you have to have bags for shopping, they should be nice looking. Mine are pretty plain except one has embroidery and crystals on it.

The dress was a lot of work for 1 meter of fabric. The designer is suppose to have fixed the skirt being bigger than the bodice but I don't have time to try it out. Maybe later when I have more time. Right now I have other things to sew.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

After two flops, I had a success. I want to make an embroidered wall hanging each month for DDIL. It can't be very wide as where she wants to put it is narrow. I used lettering I bought at Christmas and a free pattern I got a few years ago. I fooled around with the new embroidery software I got. There was a lot of sweating and a bit of swearing but I succeeded.

I'm hoping to take one day and make another one to put away. I have the fabric and thread so why not.
Stash Busting 2023

b15erk

This project has been a long time coming.  I traced it off at least a year ago, and the fabric has been in the stash so long that I can't remember when I bought it.  It's a heavy linen/linen mix, and when I tried on the (very nearly) finished dress, I was surprised at how heavy it is - and how warm!

The pattern is McCalls 6696, and has been such a lovely project to sew. 

I used about 3 metres of fabric!  :) :) :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ann

It is the start of 3 days of Christmas sewing and I got a tree skirt sewn up. When I went to add the lace I was 3" short. Will have to buy lace tomorrow when I'm shopping. I was a bit upset as I thought I had enough. (I did buy the lace and gimp for the skirt and it is now done. Had an issue with the gimp as my machine didn't like it to begin with)

I did a rolled hem on the ruffle which turned out quite nice. The skirt is lined and I used gros grain ribbon for the ties. I'm really happy with the finished look.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 21:29:50 PM by Ann »
Stash Busting 2023

Acorn

I made a top from fabric that must have been in my stash for 2+ years.  The colours are nicer than the picture shows - the background is blue.  The pattern is StyleArc's Kim, but with a straight hem and long sleeves.  It's my go-to pattern for long sleeved knit tops.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

It took me less than two hours all-in, including time spent wrangling with my coverstitcher!

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

My first sewing project will not be from stash since I don't have suitable fabric for a dressing gown, but anything else I make will be from the big tub in my sewing cupboard.

Elnnina

So pleased to read all that is going on in your new home and that you now have a sewing room - well done - now all you have to do is enjoy sewing in there - look forward to reading what you are making.  You say you have a small stash, wonder if now you have a dedicated room that this small stash will just grow and grow.

UttaRetch

Hell no.  A big stash is oppressive.  I sew very slowly from a limited range styles and don't need a wide variety of fabrics.

The sewing room is about a month away since stage 2 of the refurb is set to commence.  However, there will be pictures when the room is ready.

Fabric Lover

I’m going to join in as I really need to reduce the stash. Last year I started off with an intention of a 3:1 ratio, 3 metres used, to allow 1 in. While this started off well up to about March it went downhill from there but at least I was ahead by the end of the year. - 105 mtrs sewn (including curtains) and 89 mtrs in. Woefully short of the target but I recognised that I had set an unachievable aim!

So I’ll aim for 100 mtrs again but try for 2:1 for 2020. Let’s see how I get on!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Kwaaked

While I know how much fabric I do have, the number probably would give all of you a heart attack...then I inherited about 1000 yards from my mom. 

I have at least 2500 yards I can get rid of: won't sew, was my mom's and not my taste, cheap looking from online sales.  You get the point.

On that end, I do need to inventory it again...add what I want to keep, remove that which I won't use and figure it out.  It will still be rather large regardless.

Edit: None in.  Haven't bought fabric since August.

So far this year since Jan 3:
20 yards for curtains in my house
2 yards PJ pants for DD
2.5 yards for satin skirt (for the animal print contest, but we all know how well I manage to actually enter)

b15erk

I got rid of another couple of yards at the weekend I'm glad to say, and I'm very pleased with the tops I made. These are from a free Hot Patterns pattern, Fringe Festival Scarf T.  I know Trudy's patterns took a bit of knocking on the old forum, but this made up with no alterations needed apart from the fact that I didn't want a single layer scarf, and I left off the fringe.

I'm really making an effort this year to get rid of stash - one way or another!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ann

I finished up a bunch of sewing yesterday and tallied up what I had sewn. So far this month I've sewn 9.85 meters or 10.75 yards. I still have a doll's blouse and a Halloween wall hanging left to make this month.

Sewing up the Christmas fabric was a lot of fun. I had to spend time figuring things out but I'm pleased with the results. I had to design the topper for the table shelf. I laid paper on the shelf and drew the pattern. I folded it into quarters and evened out the design. It couldn't be perfect for this antique table. I used lovely flannel for the batting as it isn't bulky.

I made two toppers for the end tables in the living room. They have the flannel instead of batting. The center part has rows of stitching to keep everything from shifting. The binding is sewn on ready to hand stitch while I watch the embroidery machine stitch out items for a doll's blouse.

The Christmas sewing for the living room is done at this time. I have to say I had a lot of fun sewing Christmas items for 3 days. Thank you @Renegade Sewist for the idea. Can't wait to do it again in February.
Stash Busting 2023