The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s year-long stash-busting challenge - 01.01.2020 - 31.12.2020

Fabric Lover

I just remembered that on Saturday I took 7.5 metres of fabric to give away to Offcuts, our Bracknell get-together ( see https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,9252.0.html for details if anyone is interested in joining us).

My “used” total has been amended accordingly!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Renegade Sewist

Oh @Ann , I'm so glad you liked my idea.  :loveit: I didn't get to it, but I did have a cup of cocoa and a Christmas cookie on the 25th. I'll try to work on some Hallowe'en sewing the 30th-31st, or at getting stuff together for next month.

My so called busting hasn't gotten off the ground yet. I actually stumbled across some fabulous fabric at half off. They were perfect for what I want to be doing wardrobe wise. Last Summer I learned we have a mega sewing machine store. Last time I'd been there it was a pretty small shop. When Hancock fabric, a big box US retailer shut down a few years ago these people moved in to that space. They bring in national trainers from Bernina, Floriani and others and have these classes where you get to use one of their top of line machines. I took a Bernina TOL serger class last week, for free. Anyway, there was a class preview earlier in January and I discovered they have a small and growing collection of garment fabrics, mostly higher end natural fibers. It totaled 11 yards of pure goodness and I'm so glad I saw them. I resisted several other fabrics, as they are all more readily obtainable.

I have several tests coming up next month so hope to really get to this after that, maybe early March.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ann

@Renegade Sewist, I loved your idea. I have February's Christmas sewing planned and hope to keep on track for the year. DH got a chuckle out of me sewing Christmas fabric and telling him 11 months until Christmas. If I keep on like I am, I may have the yardage sewn up by November. If not, I will get it done early in 2020.

I'm testing another doll's pattern. It has machine embroidery lace and the collar took 90 minutes to stitch out. I still have lace to embroider on the sleeves and front button band. I will do that today and cut out the pattern pieces. I'm also doing a skirt so it can have a Victorian look to it. The designer has a modern look and I'm doing a historical look for her. The Halloween fabric is on the table and I am ready to start it on the 30th.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ann

My Halloween sewing is going down the tube this month. I'm so sad. I'm testing a lace design for a designer and I'm having issues with it. I will start again today using different needles in my machine. When done this project, I will have used a meter of fabric and I am gnashing my teeth. Oh well, you win some and you loose others. Halloween will be done in February if I can slip it in.
Stash Busting 2023

Efemera

Approx 4 meters down..
Two grey tops and one yellow/mustard one.

6m so far this year.

Ann

I had fun using my embroidery machine today and used up some of my embroidery thread stash. The fabric I bought and put on the stash shelf.

There is enough fabric to make one more wall hanging. I have to look for tear away stabilizer. I'm sure I have some in the stabilizer stash.
Stash Busting 2023

b15erk

Another yard and a half of fabric gone from the stash!

Rebecca Taylor for Vogue 1387, view B.

I have entered it in the Shirt competition although it isn't one of my better efforts.  Still, it used up a fair bit of fabric!

Jessie

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ann

I hit frustration mode. I bought a bit more than was required for a doll's coat pattern that I am testing. I thought I would have enough to make a cute jacket. I have more than enough to make another coat and a jacket. Thank goodness I have another coat to test but will have to look for a cotton to trim it with. The lining is the same. Calls for a half a meter and it uses a fat quarter.

I am working on my to do list. Once the doll's coat is done, I will be making more piping until I start Christmas sewing. After Christmas sewing is done, I'll finish up the second February's wall hanging and clean up the sewing room. I've cleaned it up once so far this month but will need to do it again.

So far this month I've sewn 6.25 meters of fabric.
Stash Busting 2023

MitchOfTheNorth

I really should not be allowed near a fabric store unsupervised - somehow I bought 12 meters of fabric this weekend.  This does not include the 60 meters of netting and tulle that I have coming for 10 romantic tutus - but those will be done by early April.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Acorn

I'd happily supervise you.  Of course you'd probably come out with even more fabric...  :angel:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ann

I started Christmas fabric sewing on Feb. 23 and will happily sew it until the end of the month. All other projects slated for the month are done. I'm working on a table topper/runner for the dining room table. I've got to the point of sandwiching it and hopefully will have it quilted (straight lines only) by tomorrow afternoon. Then it's a runner for the antique server which should go fast. Then onto DD's tree skirt.

@MitchOfTheNorth, where in BC do you live? Do you have more than Fabricland to buy garment fabric from?

Stash Busting 2023

MitchOfTheNorth

Ann, I live on northern Vancouver Island.  It's 2 hours to the nearest Fabricland - or any fabric store :'(.  Mind you it's also 2 hours to the nearest stop light.  The 3 closest Fabricland stores are franchises that include a private quilt shop as well.  They even carry some independent patterns.  I'm up and down Island on a regular basis though I don't get to Victoria very often.  I even get over to Vancouver several times a year - Dressew, Atex, Fabricana, Blushing Boutique.  Blushing Boutique sells their leftover fabric from their designs at $3/meter - I've bought some very nice fabric from their backroom.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Manuela

I really should not be allowed near a fabric store unsupervised - somehow I bought 12 meters of fabric this weekend.  This does not include the 60 meters of netting and tulle that I have coming for 10 romantic tutus - but those will be done by early April.

Mr Manuela said I should stash away all the fabrics I see online and love. Once in Thailand we’ll be hit with VAT....
I’m expecting a large parcel with broderie anglaise and other lovely fabrics later this week.  :devil:

Ann

Ann, I live on northern Vancouver Island.  It's 2 hours to the nearest Fabricland - or any fabric store :'(.  Mind you it's also 2 hours to the nearest stop light.  The 3 closest Fabricland stores are franchises that include a private quilt shop as well.  They even carry some independent patterns. 

I've been to one of the Fabriclands and to Snip and Stitch 2 times when I lived in BC. I did Ron Collin's workshop there twice and once in Langley. I do miss shopping in Nanaimo but don't miss the crazy drive I use to have to take when catching the ferry.

I am also a graduate from UVic so did that drive for 4 summers when doing summer school.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

My Christmas fabric sewing had to be beaten into submission. I spent 2 hours ripping out the stitching and basting the fabrics so they wouldn't pucker. I put the walking foot onto my machine and success. I'll get the binding on this afternoon and will hand stitch it when I have to watch the embroidery machine.

I used up 10.1 meters of fabric this month. The majority of it came from the stash. I'm happy with what I accomplished this month. Goal for March is another 10 meters. I'm making DH a shirt for selfless sewing so that will be 3 meters used from the garment fabrics. Looking forward to sewing it for him.
Stash Busting 2023