The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s year-long stash-busting challenge - 01.01.2020 - 31.12.2020

Renegade Sewist

I'll just sneak in to say I'm Clan Donald. And back out again....
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ann

I had a great month sewing up fabric. Not all was stash but quite a bit was. Well over half of it. I sewed 12.7 meters (13.2 yards) of fabric. I've sewn 66.2 meters (72.1 yards) so far this year.

I really did learn something this month. DD wanted two reusable grocery bags made since Friday. I bought the fabric for one and then she wanted another one (prizes at a dog trial). She asked what I had in the stash. Nothing that was right for the bag. She said I need to replenish my stock (aka the stash). At that moment, I realized how much I enjoy buying for a project. I need to get my stash sewn up so I can enjoy buying one project at a time.

I'm not discrediting my stash as it got me through the first "stay at home" stage of the pandemic. It will also get me through the next stage of the pandemic as we are preparing to be at home for a few weeks towards the end of the month. I will get what I need in the next 3 weeks for gift making. I will then be prepared for a while. The stash will get me through the next while.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Helen M

« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2020, 18:08:19 PM »
Not sure if this counts but I donated 4 metres of fabric (3 pieces) to our local Oxfam shop yesterday.

They were all pieces I'd had for some time but I won't use them so rather than bin I thought maybe someone will be able to use them. They were really pleased to have the fabric, so I'll start another bag for the next donation.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ann

@Helen M, I think you make the rules. Other groups count donations all the time.

I've sewn 3 meters of fabric so far this month. A pair of pillow cases for DGS, 1.1 meters into 15.5 meters of piping, and 4 masks for DGS. I'm quite happy with the amount I've sewn as I'm doing a lot of yard work now we are having cooler weather. The piping is easy to do as it is cut on bias, strip, add cording and trim to 1/4" piece to put into the fabric you attaching it to. The pillow cases were cut out and ready to make, and the masks were made from left over fabric I had left over from another project. I'm making more piping after I get cording tomorrow. I need to clean the sewing room once I get the cutting table cleaned up. Hence why I'm sewing what I'm sewing.

Stash Busting 2023

Helen M

« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2020, 23:40:12 PM »
Have accounted for them now @Ann!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ann

With appointments, outside work and trying to clean the house, I had a slow month. I sewed 3.5 meters of fabric in September. 1.6 meters of fabric made 22 meters of piping for DD. I also made a pair of pillow cases and 4 masks.

Total for the year is 70.5 meters. I bought less fabric than I thought as most of what I bought was for DD and her projects.

This month could be slow as I am cleaning the sewing room and still cleaning up inside and outside. The weather is going to be perfect for that. I have to make 4 masks between now and Tuesday. I just need a day to do that.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

October was another busy month were we were on the go a lot of the time and resting as we were tired from being too busy. The time change has knocked both of us for a loop and we are slowly getting our bodies adjusted to it.

I sewed 5.35 meters of fabric in October and have sewn 75.85 meters to date. I did better than I thought I would but a sewing dog's blanket helped me out.

I have 6 masks to sew after I finish a doll's outfit. People want masks using up my Christmas fabric (hurrah). Wearing them is mandatory here so people are now wanting them from seasonal fabrics. I'm fine with that as a few will be gifts and 2 are being purchased. Anything to sew up the stash.
Stash Busting 2023

Sara-S

My goal was to get rid of jelly-roll bits & pieces.  Toward that end, I made 6 log-cabin blocks, which were incorporated into 2 baby quilts.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Ann

@Sara-S, those are two gorgeous quilts. I love that the blocks are the focal point on them.

Mask sewing has gone well and I will deliver them tomorrow. I have also been sewing a doll's dress as I am testing the pattern for the designer. I've almost sewn 78 meters of fabric this year and hope to be close to 90 meters by the end of December. I'll take what ever it is that gets sewn. As the stash goes down, I have to get more creative on what to make.
Stash Busting 2023

Sara-S

Thanks @Ann   I like to incorporate some brights into baby quilts, as the bright colors provide a stimulus that helps their brains develop.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Gernella

I'm glad I didn't throw myself into the ring with this little challenge, I'd be busted.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ann

@Gernella, I am not going to be up to the meterage I set for myself.

I am at 79.35 meters and I had hoped for 90 - 100 meters. Not all of it has been old stash but there has been enough of a dent to notice.

This month, I have sewn 3.5 meters of fabric. The projects have been small - masks and doll clothes. I have 4 meters of fabric for DGS's pajama pants (plaid) to sew in December. I'm not sure what I am going to do for the rest of the month but I will find a project or two. If I do something big, I will get to 90 meters. If not, I will accept what I have made it to.

I'm challenging myself to sew as much of the stash and buy less next year. It is hard but I know the quilt shop I go to has been doing well without me purchasing too much. They have a huge customer base for a local business. They have shut their doors to in-store shopping at the moment but people are ordering and picking up curbside.
Stash Busting 2023

Gernella

I don't think I'd really want to set myself a target @Ann if I did I think it would take some of the pleasure of sewing away, bit like having to do it to keep myself on target.  I sew for pleasure if it's done relatively quick, then maybe the next one will take weeks or may not, it doesn't matter. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ann

@Gernella, I enjoy this as one of my goals is to sew down the stash. I really don't want a lot of inventory as I want to enjoy buying new fabrics to sew. Lots of people think I am crazy to make lists of what I will sew for each month but it keeps me focused and allows me to do a variety of projects. I have projects that are quick and others are a labor of love.

I made friends a reusable grocery bag out of a piece of fabric that was calling to be made. The project had to be simple so the fabric could do the talking. It is one they can use when they go to farmer's markets (very popular here in Nova Scotia). They got addicted to it this fall after they moved here.

I used up the last of some soy batting I had and cross hatched it. It was fun to do as I was keeping the bag simple. I thought I wasn't going to finish up today as my hands started cramping when I started hand sewing the turn through opening closed. I persevered and got it done.

Another batch of fabric goes on the cutting table tomorrow to make another bag for our neighbors. I'm not sure what I will do with it as the fabric needs to talk to me while I play with it on the table.
Stash Busting 2023

b15erk

I'd forgotten about this thread, and when I looked the last time I posted was March - just about when the Covid madness kicked in!  :headbang:

I've bought very little fabric since then, so most of my makes have been from the stash - although I have to say, it doesn't seem to have made the slightest dent in it!

I had a root around last night, and lifted some fabric out to be made up into a jacket, a blouse, and a couple of tops, so I need to get cracking!

Items made since lockdown (that I can remember) Showman Coat for Theo, my Pauline Alice coat, three pairs of pyjama bottoms, and about 8 tops.  I made a nice pair of trousers last week, but forgot the fabric wasn't stretch, so they are too tight...  Made myself two dressing gowns, and DD one, and three or four shirts for me.  Nearly forgot, I've made 5 aprons as well, a shedload of masks, and a couple of Christmas stockings!! Whew!

Some of these items have been put in other categories, and I'm sure I've forgotten some...

The last one I made was from a duvet cover I bought from a lady on FB who had lived in the Far East.  I've made it for DD, but I'm not giving it to her as a Christmas gift - I want it back if she doesn't like it!

Jessie

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.