The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s year-long stash-busting challenge - 01.01.2020 - 31.12.2020

Renegade Sewist

I'll just sneak in to say I'm Clan Donald. And back out again....

Ann

I had a great month sewing up fabric. Not all was stash but quite a bit was. Well over half of it. I sewed 12.7 meters (13.2 yards) of fabric. I've sewn 66.2 meters (72.1 yards) so far this year.

I really did learn something this month. DD wanted two reusable grocery bags made since Friday. I bought the fabric for one and then she wanted another one (prizes at a dog trial). She asked what I had in the stash. Nothing that was right for the bag. She said I need to replenish my stock (aka the stash). At that moment, I realized how much I enjoy buying for a project. I need to get my stash sewn up so I can enjoy buying one project at a time.

I'm not discrediting my stash as it got me through the first "stay at home" stage of the pandemic. It will also get me through the next stage of the pandemic as we are preparing to be at home for a few weeks towards the end of the month. I will get what I need in the next 3 weeks for gift making. I will then be prepared for a while. The stash will get me through the next while.
Stash Busting 2020
Goal: 50 metres
So far: 20.7 meters

Helen M

« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2020, 18:08:19 PM »
Not sure if this counts but I donated 4 metres of fabric (3 pieces) to our local Oxfam shop yesterday.

They were all pieces I'd had for some time but I won't use them so rather than bin I thought maybe someone will be able to use them. They were really pleased to have the fabric, so I'll start another bag for the next donation.
Stash Busting 2020
Goal: 35 metres
So far: 9 metres

Ann

@Helen M, I think you make the rules. Other groups count donations all the time.

I've sewn 3 meters of fabric so far this month. A pair of pillow cases for DGS, 1.1 meters into 15.5 meters of piping, and 4 masks for DGS. I'm quite happy with the amount I've sewn as I'm doing a lot of yard work now we are having cooler weather. The piping is easy to do as it is cut on bias, strip, add cording and trim to 1/4" piece to put into the fabric you attaching it to. The pillow cases were cut out and ready to make, and the masks were made from left over fabric I had left over from another project. I'm making more piping after I get cording tomorrow. I need to clean the sewing room once I get the cutting table cleaned up. Hence why I'm sewing what I'm sewing.

Stash Busting 2020
Goal: 50 metres
So far: 20.7 meters

Helen M

« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2020, 23:40:12 PM »
Have accounted for them now @Ann!
Stash Busting 2020
Goal: 35 metres
So far: 9 metres