The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s year-long UFO challenge - 01.01.2020 - 31.12.2020

Manuela

Welcome to The Sewing Place’s year-long UFO challenge. The aim of this challenge is to support and motivate each other while completing as many UFOs as you can. We’ll run it until December 31st, there may or may not be a little prize for the person who finished the most UFOs. Anything goes, be it a quilt, a garment, an upholstery project, a bag..... lets do it, get them out and get them done!

Here is the UFO tracker

Existing UFOs:

Completed UFOs:

UFOs still to tackle:

While you don’t need to fill in admit to the first and the last number  ;), it would be great if everyone could keep track of how many UFOs they completed.
Please post a before and after picture.

Get up and tackle those UFOs!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 03:28:01 AM by Manuela »

Puzzler

Re: The Sewing Place’s year-long UFO challenge - 01.01.2020 - 31.12.2020
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 07:16:20 AM »
@Manuela, I love your dancing Simplicity lady and her head nodding companion! :D

Does a pile of abandoned toiles for a number of different patterns count as UFOs?

Edit: OMG, just found some dancing Butterick ladies on another thread. I feel like I am hallucinating.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 07:31:45 AM by Puzzler »

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 10:00:49 AM »
I'm in again this year.  Last year - one finished, one passed on to someone else to finish, one discarded.  Depending on the definition, I'm not sure these are all UFO; some are WIP but it will help to keep me on track.

1. Jan Hassard's Spirals - Still waiting for borders, but now I have the fabric.
2.. TSP Mystery Quilt - waiting to be sandwiched
3. Katharine Guerrier's Scrappy Houses quilt - begun when I was new and enthusiastic.  Some blocks are too big.  May become several smaller projects.  I'll need your help with this one.
4. Stack and slash quilt - needs sashing, but I have a plan!
5. 4 patch chain quilt - begun at a BOM class.  I hate it but have spent too much money on it to throw it in the mud and stomp on it.  No change to this since last year but I am planning to work on it at a retreat in February.
6.  Jelly roll race - begun 4-5 years ago.  Only needs binding and has for 4-5 years.  Still needs binding another year later.
7.  Curved bargello - ready to be sandwiched
8.  Q4CL quilt - not finished in time for this year's (last year's) Christmas dinners.
9.  TSP temperature quilts - Stuck in June.

Existing UFOs: 9

Completed UFOs: 0

UFOs still to tackle: 0

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 10:08:14 AM »
I don't have any UFOs  :angel: :angel:

I can't just leave something, it either is ok and has to be finished, or isn't ok and get's binned (very rare!)

Oh, errr, erm, actually, I do have some unfinished hand knitting...  it's been languishing in the storage pouffe since we moved here, waiting for me to get the chunky knitting machine set up to just make the shawl collar... :|

Manuela

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 10:48:08 AM »
Does a pile of abandoned toiles for a number of different patterns count as UFOs?

They do indeed, very much looking forward to seeing those finished.

fourkid

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 12:35:47 PM »
Jumping in with a goal in 2020 to be finished (or rid) of all UFO's!  :thread:

1.  Baby quilt for a soon-to-arrive grandson. It has been languishing for a very long time (it began as a gift for another baby - probably about seven years old now!). This baby will be here in a four weeks. Get it done!
2.  DONE! Set of 4 spring flower placemats.   :flower:
3.  Two doll carriers - started for my two granddaughters when they were little - they are now teens! I messed it up and as is, the doll will fall through! I have debated tossing, redoing, or improvising. I have now chosen improvise and will finish to give to some grand nieces.
4.  Vintage quilt #1 re-do.
5.  Vintage quilt #2 re-do
6.  Kitty-kat skirt for daughter (before pregnancy! No telling who will get it now - may possibly be adjusted to fit post-baby figure.)
7.  Finish granddaughter #1 quilt
8.  Finish granddaughter #2 quilt
9.  Bionic Gear Bag #1
10. Bionic Gear Bag #2

To be continued ….. not necessarily in order, but to give focus and direction, I am listing a few at a time.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 12:51:05 PM by fourkid »
Stash Busting 2020
Goal: 100 yards
So far: 8 1/2 yards

eluceo

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 00:35:31 AM »
I am in!

Existing UFOs - 10 that I can remember though there may be more lurking in bags and closets
Completed UFOs - 0
UFOs Still to Tackle - 10

UFOs:
1. Black dress - hem/buttons
2. Print dress - fix wonky hem
3. Pockets in Coat
4. Belt/cumberbund thing on blue dress.  Or remove and rethink
5. Pink/White dress......no idea what even needs to be done
6. Blue/white sundress - fix and put back together
7. Green dress - if I can find the pieces
8. Blue coat - if I can find the pieces
9. Purple maxi skirt - cut out and forgotten
10. 1895 dress - embellishments, hem, closures

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 07:54:46 AM »
Maybe this is the year for that olive green jacket.....

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 10:43:42 AM »
@Pearl reading your list I feel much better about my quilts in progress. Quilts can never be UFO's. They have two distinct phases. The top or flimsie, which is done when it's done and pressed. Then the full quilt done after all that blasted layering and pinning, pinning, pinning then sewing- forever. That is time consuming and wears you down. Sometimes we need to put them aside and rest. Sometimes for years.... :devil:

I have a few UFO's and long time WIP's here and there. More then three, less then one hundred. There, close enough for now. I'll be attempting some progress on two this month. Ann and I are going to do monthly sewing for Christmas around the 25th and Hallowe'en on months with 31 days. Feel free to join us. Play some music, fix some appropriate food and enjoy. I've a flip and sew C'mas throw in process and a larger Hallowe'en one layered and basted that just needs quilting and binding. The binding's already made. I'm starting with those two I think.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 10:59:42 AM »
Right @Pearl you have galvanised me!
I've never had UFOs before now....but someone has snuck in and dumped some in a storage box  :o
I'll be back in a bit with the definitive list......oh the shame :|
Mind you,nothing has been waiting for more than 6months  :P
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 13:05:56 PM »
Right...having checked, I have decided I have no UFOs just several WIPs as there is nothing outstanding which I haven't been working on fairly regularly.
This being said...I have decided this thread is not for me  :'( and instead I shall begin a dedicated thread to my work in 2020 over on TDS ( as that's all I do )
I'll follow this thread with interest and wish you all luck in getting everything finished....especially @Pearl  0_0
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 14:07:49 PM »
Thanks, @Lowena

Karen from Just Get It Done Quilts defines a UFO as a project that hasn't been worked on for over a year.  That definition would slash my list from 9 to 4.  Sadly these are the projects I have least affection for.  There's a reason they haven't been finished.

WendyW

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 15:55:31 PM »
Even with that very specific definition, I have at least 10 UFOs, maybe more. I'll take inventory of those and come back and post my tally. I'd already made this a goal for the year and have already taken care of one pile this week, so I can't get a "before" pic of that one.

I LOVE the dancing pattern pics!

fourkid

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 21:53:10 PM »
So if we use the 1 year of languishing to count as a UFO, I will take my daughter's maternity dress out of the mix. It did sit for several months, but not a year! The quilt will still qualify though - it has been in progress for several years and designated for other babies along the way - but now it has a stopping point. I am glad it will be for this grandbaby.

It also states in the "contest" directions to take before and after pictures. I am practically a luddite - I am not sure I am able to do that, but I will put some photos in my phone and see if I can figure out along the way how to get them from my phone to this page.
Stash Busting 2020
Goal: 100 yards
So far: 8 1/2 yards

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 23:42:36 PM »
Use your own definition of UFO, not some blogger or shopkeeper out in Internet Land. Doesn't matter a Rodent's Patootie what someone else defines it as. It's truly undefinable.

Also include long time WIP's if you count them the same. I'd think if I haven't touched a project in 6 months it's a candidate here no matter if I call it a UFO or WIP. If I've cut parts out for quilt or garment and not started it, I might call it a kit, but it's still an unfinished item. Same ways if you bought all the bits and bobs for a project and never did a thing it's still technically unfinished. Also un-started, but unfinished none the less.

I think the point of a UFO Challenge or sew along is to encourage each other to finish some things that are unfinished. That's what @Manuela  said too.

Technically, since I've not sewn for some time, if I finish much of anything I was working on when things ground to a halt I'll  -haha- finish the most. Now that just shouldn't be.

@fourkid I'm sure the idea of B & A pics is for encouragement and because we all are snoops and want to see all of it.  :toast:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.