The Sewing Place

Matching fabric when you have run out!

Rosieh

Matching fabric when you have run out!
« on: January 02, 2020, 11:37:36 AM »
Happy New Year everyone. My daughter is getting married this year, she picked out some violet/Cadbury purple satin from my fabric stash for her bridesmaids, but of course there is nowhere near enough. I  have no memory of where I got this fabric and although it is described as 'Cadbury purple' I find that this description in itself is no good as there are so many different shades. It is more of a violet than a purple.  I'm stuck as I have a good 5 metres of this fabric so my ideal would be to match it rather than go with a slightly different shade. we have gone through the options of having organza overlays on the skirts so we could have a slightly different shade on the skirt but I would know what lies underneath! so my main question is does anyone know of any fabric supplier who offers a fabric matching service? If so is it expensive? I am probably going to take a trip to Goldhawk road and trawl around with a swatch, but I have had no luck whatsoever so far with local fabric shops.

Lilian

Re: Matching fabric when you have run out!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 11:45:07 AM »
I did a quick search and found this:

Cadbury purple satin fabric

They may do a sample for matching  :)
Willing but not always able :)

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 13:07:55 PM »
As the daughter of a  wedding photographer I am here to warn you that the camera will pick up what the eye won't especially with purples and pinks. They might look fine in daylight but in artificial light, including flash photography, any difference will show up like a sore thumb. If your fabric composition isn't identical you could be in trouble.  :(

I believe the wedding I'm picturing had five bridesmaids, (or should that be three and two) in cerise. My dad nearly passed out when he saw the photographs (and if he didn't see it nobody would!).  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Nevis5

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 14:01:28 PM »
Could you perhaps source a toning colour of purple and maybe make either bodices or skirts out of each fabric?  I think when my Mum got married back in the Dim Dark Past she had dark purple velvet bodices and paler lilac-y tulle skirts for her bridesmaids x

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 15:13:07 PM »
I depends on how much you are prepared to spend, but it might be better (certainly easier) to buy a complete new lot of fabric for the dresses, and use the existing stuff for accessories - favours, bows on the backs of chairs, MOB outfit, table runner, table cloth for cake table ...
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Rosieh

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 13:05:27 PM »
Thanks all, I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a complete new batch of fabric  :loveit: