The Sewing Place

Slipper Pattern and Hints

Skater’sMum

Slipper Pattern and Hints
« on: January 02, 2020, 13:28:41 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has made closed toe mule type slipper and could offer hints, especially any pitfalls they experienced.  I have found a free pattern on Covert Robin https://needleandladle.wordpress.com/2013/04/13/covert-robin-what-i-made-for-kat/
They do not have a stiff bottom, not sure if that is a pro or con.
Yvonne
Enjoying retirement in the sunshine ☀️ 😁 ☀️

ClareInStitches

Re: Slipper Pattern and Hints
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 16:40:12 PM »
When I made something similar for a friend many years ago,  I  used non-slip  / gripper dots fabric for the soles. It was fine on carpet, but when she walked on a smooth surface, say in the kitchen, her feet moved and the slippers stayed where they were! :[  An accident waiting to happen.  :o

HTH,
Clare

Skater’sMum

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 19:09:34 PM »
When I made something similar for a friend many years ago,  I  used non-slip  / gripper dots fabric for the soles. It was fine on carpet, but when she walked on a smooth surface, say in the kitchen, her feet moved and the slippers stayed where they were! :[  An accident waiting to happen.  :o

HTH,
Clare

Thank you for that Clare - I’ll try to find a none-slip fabric for the sole or maybe just go to the pile of fabric I have stashed away
Enjoying retirement in the sunshine ☀️ 😁 ☀️

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 19:51:49 PM »
I’ve used leather for the soles. My last pair were made using the rough side of the leather which came from the back of a sofa that was being scrapped.

Lizzielogs

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 16:50:11 PM »
I've made the exact same ones and used kids puffy paint on the soles as I was scared of slipping on the laminate.
If I made them again I might try dots of glue from my glue gun!

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 08:52:13 AM »
What do use to stiffen the sole to stop it folding under your foot? Mine regularly go in the washing machine.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 14:28:45 PM »
@wrenkins you could use an extra firm fusible interfacing like Peltex 71F or Vilene S520. Or you could use Kraft-tex on the sole which would also stop slipping (I think). This post reminds me I need some slippers for me. Little project :)

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 07:19:44 AM »
Thanks @Vezelay.

I've always made shoes for myself since I was a child but haven't been very successful. I've made them from polythene bags, lego, off-cuts of mahogany... (my dad let me drill the string holes myself for those ones). :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 10:00:54 AM »
@wrenkins - you should probably work for someone like Vivienne Westwood!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 10:19:08 AM »
I met my bessy mate about thirty years ago. She's ten years younger than me, grew up in Scotland and she did the same thing when she was wee!  :o

Vezelay

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 13:55:53 PM »
@Skatersmum i don't seem to see the actual pattern on your link, just the instructions. Did you find it?