The Sewing Place

Opinions/advice

RJR_38

Opinions/advice
« on: January 02, 2020, 21:33:12 PM »
I have been working on a batik version of 'splendid sampler 2' for about a year and am getting towards the end. I decided to very roughly out the blocks to begin seeing how it looked rather than just being in my head. I was going for the  'rainbow ombre' type effect.

Ideally I had wanted a double size quilt and so thought I would use narrow sashing to help increase the size. I thought perhaps black with batik cornerstones.

However, seeing it laid out like this I'm not sure that work and wonder if I should just join them as they are, put a border on (no idea what colour) and just accept it will be smaller than double. 

What would you do?  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Acorn

Re: Opinions/advice
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 22:03:37 PM »
What about plain white sashing?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

fajita

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 22:07:25 PM »
I was thinking white sashing, too. I think it needs the blocks separating.  It’s going to be lovely, though.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 22:12:39 PM »
Yes - as fajita said, it is wonderful.  I think the white space between the blocks would allow them to shine properly rather than interfering with them.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 22:15:42 PM »
If you have more of the cream fabric I'm sure we could come up with a few more different blocks. ;)

The alternative would be to do a wide  'piano key' border like this or a braid border like this.  Mix the colours up but have the border pieces more or less the opposite colour to those of the adjacent blocks.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 22:49:37 PM »
Gosh, you've doe a lot of work there.  I agree that the blocks should be separated by some narrow sashing as not all of them have their own built in border. It doesn't want to be a colour that dominates or detracts from the blocks.
Life's too short for ironing.

Puzzler

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 23:44:57 PM »
I agree with Acorn and Fajita about the white sashing. I love the quirky appliqué blocks, fabrics and colour placement. This will be stunning.

RJR_38

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 07:24:34 AM »
Thanks. I will have some of the WOW fabric left afterwards but not sure it will be enough - I can do some calculations but another one could work, you're right - I just didnt want it to look too washed out.

The advantage of sashing is that I should be able to get my head round QAYG as well which will be very helpful for this!

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 08:44:56 AM »
White sashing would set those beautiful blocks off perfectly!
In fact, as others say I think its a necessity to give the bigger blocks a frame.

And as you so correctly say, that will easily enable you to QAYG ... either each

individual block,

halves*,

quarters, or

sixths,

however you wish to divide it.

* still in progress

If you need any help with the QAYG just ask.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:48:06 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 09:42:26 AM »
Oh that's a lot of splendid work....fabulous!! I agree, white or cream sashing......jeez, it's going to be a stunner when you finish it! <3
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Bjay

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 12:20:47 PM »
Thank you for displaying your EH blocks. they look amazing

I have just been given a pattern of hers (August) and I am not keen on plain block colours - your idea of using batik has given me food for thought

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 12:22:22 PM by Bjay »
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 17:21:32 PM »
If you are a bit tight on the white fabric, especially if it's in pieces, use coloured cornerstones.  Once you've decided on the layout cut the cornerstone squares more or loss the same colour as the nearby blocks.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

RJR_38

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 22:02:35 PM »
Ok, so I decided on white sashing - an inch finished. After measuring it all up there was no way so was going to have enough of the background fabric to do this (over half m short). So I walked to my local quilting shop and picked up some wow fabric that will tie in nicely. So I will use this and coloured corner stones.

@Iminei if you have any good tips for QAYG I would love to see. I have done it once before over a year ago and I don’t think it came out as neatly as it could have so would love to see if there is an easier way!