The Sewing Place

Too much choice - thread!

WildAtlanticWay

Too much choice - thread!
« on: January 03, 2020, 12:15:05 PM »
Are there some basic rules about threads? I’ve tried searching but I think I’m using the wrong terms, possibly?

I’d bought some embroidery threads (pretty colours!) and used them to pep up my basic mug mats etc. that I made for Xmas presents but I found them breaking constantly on my more expensive Juki although they sewed ok on my much cheaper Brother machine. I used the same thread for the bobbin as I used on the top, before anyone asks.  :)

It got me thinking and I wondered if there is a useful guide someone can point me too that explains about different types of threads and their uses?

I was reading some US pages and they included various brandnames of thread (many I’d never heard of) and disparaging Gütermann, which I thought was a top brand, plus used a numbering system that I’ve not seen either

It’s all rather confusing... :S

Renegade Sewist

Re: Too much choice - thread!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 12:52:52 PM »
I have read that some machines are finicky about embroidery threads. I wound up with Coat's Trilobal Polyester for my Brother and it is happy. Good color, good sheen and takes more abuse then rayon thread.

It might be trial and error.

Superior threads on their site tells a lot about types of thread, sizing systems, etc. There is an extensive one I think was called thread university or some such. I wanted a diploma after I read through it. It was really long and detailed.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 13:07:59 PM »
Ask @BrendaP , she knows EVERYTHING!

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 13:11:36 PM »
My embroidery machine loves Guterman Sulky (althoughe very now and then there will be a rogue reel that it dislikes), and it happily tolerates Madeira.  It doesn't like variegated threads.

As a sewing machine, it and my Pfaff will sew happily with any old rubbish.

I'm sure I have seen a chart somewhere giving details of what to use where, but I don't seem to have a copy of it on my computer.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 17:17:43 PM »
Ask @BrendaP , she knows EVERYTHING!
No, not everything!

I don't think I've seen a sample of Coat's Trilobal Polyester but the trilobal means that the cross section of the individual filaments which make up the thread is like a clover leaf.  That makes it reflect light from more angles and the thread appears more shiny.  It's also a reeled/continuous filament thread which is smoother than 'ordinary' spun threads like Gueterman SewAll and Coats Moon.  A lot smoother than Moon!   

https://www.coats.com/en/Products/Threads-and-Yarns/Sylko/Sylko
then there's a link to info about the trilobal and other threads.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.