The Sewing Place

April's Wardrobe

sleepingwolf

April's Wardrobe
« on: January 03, 2020, 18:09:11 PM »
When I took a load of donations to our local charity shop I picked up an Our Generation doll.  I'd never seen one before - no children in the family. I rather fell for her especially her glasses and wonderful hair colour so she followed me home.

I thought I might try to make an oufit a month for her just as light relief from make clothes for me.  It seems like a good way of using up some of the scraps I can't bear to part with.

Here she is after a good wash and detangling of her hair. Her clothes have been washed and pressed as well.

Her socks are badly stretched out so I might start by making her a new pair!

Sara-S

Re: April's Wardrobe
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 22:05:06 PM »
She looks like she’s in pretty good shape.  She’ll need something red for Valentine’s Day.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 10:28:45 AM »
She is lovely!

Then she'll be needing something green for St. Patrick's Day, a lovely Easter outfit and pyjama's right away.

Noelle, my 18" doll, will be jealous. I'm a bad "Mother". Lot's of patterns, fabrics, zilch for clothes. I did cut out her jammies and robe.  :angel:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

sleepingwolf

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 21:11:13 PM »
April now has a pair of nice white knee socks - to boring to photograph .

@Sara-S  great idea about Valentines day - I've looked out some red cotton to make her a dress.

@Renegade Sewist thanks for the suggestions - St Patricks day isn't really a thing in most of England but I am working on some PJs for her (photos to follow)

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 07:35:38 AM »
Isn't really much of a thing here either...  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Missie

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 14:22:46 PM »
She looks like my DDs friend!  0_0

sleepingwolf

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 17:37:26 PM »
I got a bit carried away this month and made two outfits for April. It is a lot harder than it looks sewing with 1/4 inch seams. I have a renewed respect for all you Darksiders.  Some of my sizing is a bit off. I think Our Generation dolls are a little slimmer than American Girl.

First up a day time outfit -pocket dress, cardigan and tights.

sleepingwolf

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 17:44:46 PM »
The second outfit is pyjamas and a dressing gown.  I found the cute slipper patten on the Lee and Pearl web site - I've never knitted anything before but these were really easy.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 17:47:35 PM »
They are gorgeous!   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 18:09:08 PM »
You are clever, they look really difficult, they're all lovely  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Sewingsue

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 18:34:22 PM »
Lucky April.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ann

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 11:39:17 AM »
@sleepingwolf, your outfits are delightful. Lucky April to have such a sweet momma.

Our Generation dolls are slimmer than AG dolls. I have found that when I bought the My Life As A.... dolls from Walmart.

I love those slippers. I will have to look for the pattern. I do knit for my dolls and test patterns for doll clothes designers on Pixie Faire.

Have fun sewing for April.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 11:42:08 AM »
@sleepingwolf , I love all April's clothes!  I bought two of these dolls last summer, and have yet to make them anything... :|

Where did you find the cute pig? It's lovely!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

sleepingwolf

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 22:11:51 PM »
@b15erk both the pig and the lion were among a job lot of keyring ornaments I bought from a market stall in Rugby about 14 years ago.  I used to buy lots of this sort of thing as positive reinforcement/bribe prizes when I was still teaching.  I still have a box of oddments of stationery, wind-up toys and rubber balls from those days.  Its surprising how often I have just the right thing for a project lurking in there!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 16:57:03 PM »
@sleepingwolf I have an OG doll, bought second hand, just don't know which one.  Her label has been cut out, I don't know if that would have her name on it. Her hair looks like April's hair - what colour are your doll's eyes?   The other choice was Hope, but her hair seems a bit pale for that one.
Love her clothes so far - I have the dressing gown pattern but haven't tried it yet. I'm using up knitting yarn stash, so I want to finish that outfit first.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m