The Sewing Place

Which would you recommend and why?

WendyW

Which would you recommend and why?
« on: January 04, 2020, 00:58:20 AM »
I'm looking for a comprehensive book on pattern making. I've narrowed it down to Connie Crawford's "Patternmaking Made Easy" 3rd edition, or Suzy Furrers "Building Patterns".  Would you recommend one over the other? Or another book entirely?

Ohsewsimple

Re: Which would you recommend and why?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 11:23:30 AM »
Unfortunately these two books are very hard to get over here.   Hopefully someone from your neck of the woods will be able to help. 

Kwaaked

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 11:46:33 AM »
I have both and I use both.  You are also getting stuck with my recollection: I have spent the year draping mostly and the only flat pattern work that was not modified from existing patterns has been from Muller und Sohn's books (in German no less), Moda Aloi - Il Taglio del sarto moderno (the book in Men of the Cloth and in Italian) of which both of these are men's tailoring and ethnic Indian clothing.  I have not touched these books in over a year because of what I have been doing, so take it for what it is worth.

Crawford's is a good stand alone, Furrer's works perfectly with her Craftsy classes and is a little more technical.  Both are by far more superior to the college textbook they push from Armstrong.

Both cover about the same amount of patterns.  Both are excellent teachers.  Furrer uses her own ruler instead of several, which while not necessary for her system is a good tool, and can be used with any other system.  I've used it with what I have worked with, so it has a use outside of Furrer's teachings. 

It is also easier to learn just one system before trying to add to it...so I would suggest you pick one.  Thing is, if you're going to do Furrer's Craftsy classes, then I'd go with her.  And they are wonderful classes.  If you are not a Craftsy person, or use University of Fashion, then go with Crawford. 

WendyW

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 14:29:59 PM »
Thanks, @Kwaaked! I didn't realize there might be actual differences in the methods of the books, but thought there would be differences in layout and presentation that would make one preferable over the other.  I have taken and enjoyed several of Furrer's Craftsy classes, and was thinking that might be a valid consideration. I'd love all the info in print for quick reference.

WendyW

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 14:52:08 PM »
Wow! Talk about price differences! Started on my usual sources of Amazon and several used book sites, and the price for the soft cover ranged from $185- $250, with one site asking over $800! Thought to go check her own site and it's $85 for the newest edition in hardcover.  Guess which one I just ordered?

Kwaaked

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 19:06:28 PM »
All drafting is going to have minor differences, to be honest.  It's all technically the same method, but they all approach the pattern in different ways and every one has their own methods to do the same pattern.

The thing is, once you get one system to draft, then you find that someone else does something better for your body type or what you want to do and you take your base learning and add to it.  Or they don't explain something in a way you like or understand and you get another one.  Or, like me, the draft on a style of garment didn't work and so I went in search of another that plotted a point slightly different.

But drafting the pattern is only half of creating custom garments and patterns that work.  There is still fitting that has to be done, and sometimes those can take several of them before they are tweaked.  Drafting only gets you close to what you want, you still have to put in work in other places.

On the cost, yikes.  I've had mine for a while and they have certainly jumped up in cost since then.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 22:01:19 PM »
When I was at college my tutor used a block that she had adapted from one book.  But the sleeve she said was a definite no no.  So we used something else.   I can’t remember the last time I used a basic block.  Everything I’ve done over several years has been adapted from various patterns I’ve made.