The Sewing Place

Long pile fleece easy hat or welly socks

Emerion

Long pile fleece easy hat or welly socks
« on: January 04, 2020, 08:51:47 AM »
Hello, I’ve got a gorgeously soft, thick, long-pile fleece dressing gown that makes me look like a barrage balloon, so I don’t wear it. I’m wondering if I could make a cosy winter hat and/or welly socks from it? My skills are very basic, and I’ve got an old fashioned Singer machine, so I can’t use it to sew stretch fabrics. I’m maybe getting a newer machine just to sew stretch fabrics if my new sewing hobby lasts, but in the meantime, I’m happy to hand sew if that would work better. Any ideas, or should I donate the robe to a charity shop instead?
Machine: Singer 99K 1954
Ability: Plenty of room for improvement

Renegade Sewist

Re: Long pile fleece easy hat or welly socks
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 09:05:30 AM »
@Emerion , you can still sew knits. The finishing will just be different. Here's a Youtube video by Ann Steeves that does cover it.

A serger gives a cleaner more RTW like narrow finish to the seams. For your welly socks your seams might be a bit bulky on a standard machine. Also, depending on how plush the fleece is, it might not feel good under your feet. Too smushy perhaps. The hat would be great! You'll have plenty of fabric for both. Perhaps a nice scarf or cowl as well.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 09:38:42 AM »
Much as I love my vintage straight stitchers I wouldn't use them for fleece - that's a task for the overlocker.

Handsewing would be OK to make a warm hat, but not good for socks as getting them on and off would put non-stretchy seams under stress, and I agree that seams in socks are not good for comfort.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 09:30:23 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 10:48:42 AM »
 0_0 I look like an igloo in mine but I still won't be chopping it up.  0_0
Neck warmers are brilliant for out and about. No hat part to give you hat hair and no dangly bits, like a scarf, to trail about the place.
@Vezelay made some as gifts for Christmas.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Emerion

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 14:01:29 PM »
Thank you, I see what you mean about socks, so I’ll look at neck warmers and hats.
Machine: Singer 99K 1954
Ability: Plenty of room for improvement

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 14:20:38 PM »
I was browsing the shopping channels this morning and saw a clever garment, that would be easy to replicate.  They called it a Polo Pancho, Polo Pancho,

As it happens I have just found  :[  in my stash a large amount of soft grey fleece  :S And will be having a go at making one.  Just need to work out a pattern  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 20:38:12 PM »
@Lilian  They look like a tube of fabric to me, just self lined and turned through. A bit like a buff but thicker.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lilian

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 21:29:07 PM »
@Catllar Yes they do with the front and back left unstitched so they hang down front and back, very warm for the colder months and they can be worn a number of ways.  :)
Willing but not always able :)