The Sewing Place

Can someone check my pattern for me please?

Sew What?

Can someone check my pattern for me please?
« on: January 05, 2020, 18:19:44 PM »
Im making a cover for some equipment I have so Im creating the pattern myself. Its the first time Ive done it so Id just like any advice/opinion on whether Ive got the measurements right or wrong. Ignore the dimensions of the shapes, they arent to scale, it was knocked up in an online editor.

These are the original dimensions I measured, its basically a box shape with knobs on top.
Looking at it from the side
Height 6cm (base to top of knobs)  then sloping down to 4.5cm at the other edge, Length 18cm

Top view
width 21.8 depth 18, this will just wrap over from front to back

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Can someone check my pattern for me please?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 18:26:28 PM »
Won't you need 28.5 to go up the front, over the top and down the back?  Plus hem allowances, so another 2 cm makes 30.5cm.  Or have I read it wrong.

Sew What?

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 18:42:32 PM »
Won't you need 28.5 to go up the front, over the top and down the back?  Plus hem allowances, so another 2 cm makes 30.5cm.  Or have I read it wrong.

Up, over and down the back comes in at 27.5 (just re-measured as found a ribbon tape measure instead of the metal one  -<) I forgot to say that on the back Im leaving it short so the cables can stay plugged in.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 18:53:13 PM »
Ah, right, I see.  Don't forget that, when you start sewing the side panels on - I would!

Sew What?

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 19:08:53 PM »
Ah, right, I see.  Don't forget that, when you start sewing the side panels on - I would!

I'll try. Do you think 1cm is ok for seam allowance or add more?

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 19:19:42 PM »
1cm seam allowance is fine if you're sure of your measurements & of your ability to sew exactly on the 1 cm mark. I'd allow a little more to give some wiggle room for putting it onto your box. Unlike metal or wood, fabric is floppy & doesn't always co-operate in the same way rigid materials do.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 19:26:12 PM »
You mention cables, so I immediately think is this something that gets warm? Is it going to overheat if covered? 

Sew What?

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 21:41:14 PM »
You mention cables, so I immediately think is this something that gets warm? Is it going to overheat if covered?
No, it's for when it's turned off so heat won't be an issue.

Sew What?

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 21:43:01 PM »
1cm seam allowance is fine if you're sure of your measurements & of your ability to sew exactly on the 1 cm mark. I'd allow a little more to give some wiggle room for putting it onto your box. Unlike metal or wood, fabric is floppy & doesn't always co-operate in the same way rigid materials do.
I'm marking a line to sew down so im hoping it will be enough. I'm not averse to any last minute changes of heart though

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 22:05:07 PM »
Marking a line is a great idea - it gives you practice at sewing exactly where you want to. 

You'll also probably find that there are lines on the needle plate of your machine that you can use to guide the edge of the fabric so that your needle is always the same distance from the edge. 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sew What?

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 22:48:15 PM »
Marking a line is a great idea - it gives you practice at sewing exactly where you want to. 

You'll also probably find that there are lines on the needle plate of your machine that you can use to guide the edge of the fabric so that your needle is always the same distance from the edge.
No such luxury unfortunately. As usual I’ll probably do my usual of improvise a solution somehow

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 22:56:34 PM »
A piece of sellotape stuck on the needlebed, at whatever distance you decide, will work just as well.

Celia

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 09:27:27 AM »
You can always use the edge of the sewing machine foot as a seam allowance, just do a test seam and measure, then use that measurement as you seam allowance.  I do usually add a smidgin as @Lachica says fabric is a bit fickle.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 09:34:51 AM »
Another thought - most sewing patterns use a 5/8" seam allowance.  I (and I'm sure all the others here) can sew this pretty accurately by eye, but now would be a good time for you start practising that  0_0

You can get magnetic seam guides for machines, or use masking tape as it won't leave a sticky residue.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 09:52:44 AM »
No such luxury unfortunately. As usual I’ll probably do my usual of improvise a solution somehow

Initially, I used a red sharpie pen and drew a line down the centre of the clear plastic foot that made it easier to follow and match up to any lines you’re following on the fabric. Obviously, this probably won’t work if you’ve got a metal foot though.