The Sewing Place

Dancing on Ice - sparkle on ice!

Marniesews

Dancing on Ice - sparkle on ice!
« on: January 05, 2020, 23:38:43 PM »
Some excellent skating for the first week and some lovely skating costumes although none with more sparkle than Jayne's dress.  Like Strictly, DSI-London make all the costumes and have done a good job with a slightly different aesthetic although skating and Latin styles have some overlap. They won't have made Holly Willoughby's dress but it would make a lovely ballroom bodice I think.

Any inspiration there for you?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Gernella

Re: Dancing on Ice - sparkle on ice!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 16:49:41 PM »
I don't watch but I must admit if they have never skated before they've got some balls to do it because I think it's a dangerous game for the older person (no idea how old they are).  You bounce a bit better when you've got young joints.   
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 09:08:08 AM »
Any pics @Marniesews  ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 09:39:04 AM »
Some excellent skating for the first week and some lovely skating costumes although none with more sparkle than Jayne's dress.  Any inspiration there for you?

I love watching Dancing on Ice. I think it’s because I’ve followed Jayne & Chris since they started to become well known when I lived in Notts, just before they won the Europeans. I haven’t watched this week’s episode yet but it’s recorded.
When I do get around to watching it, I will try to pay more attention to the costumes.

I also admire anyone who’s learning to skate when they’re over 40. They’re very brave in my view. The falling over would shock me too much, I think.  :|

Sadly, despite a few attempts, I can’t get into Strictly. I find the whole programme quite annoying but I’m not really sure why as I love watching dancing at the theatre, a traditional ballet or modern dance performance.

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 15:26:11 PM »
Can't help with the pictures just yet I'm afraid @Iminei as it refuses to play on my laptop (I watched it on the TV) but I'll get back to this hopefully as I've emailed their help section because all the settings changes they say need doing are all correct and my DH has the same issue on his laptop.

Sadly, despite a few attempts, I can’t get into Strictly. I find the whole programme quite annoying but I’m not really sure why as I love watching dancing at the theatre, a traditional ballet or modern dance performance.

I think that may well be all the silly reality show interim video stuff. I watch Strictly on iplayer and fast forward so often forgo the voting despite my specific ballroom & dancewear interest. I think the Dancing on Ice ones aren't quite as bad with not as much luvvyness as Strictly (I think - a year is a long time for my memory to remember the details). These two and Bake Off are the only reality competitions that I watch. Of course the Bake Off contestants aren't celebrities (at the start anyway) which makes a difference and, let's face it, the danger element of ice skating does impact your respect and tolerance for their efforts great and small - I couldn't do it either.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 15:30:53 PM »
Love Strictly but can't get into DOI because of the horrible tights  :D. Love watching skating and Ice dancing ,did it a bit as a child  <3
Good pics if you watch the programme @Iminei  :P :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 09:09:02 AM »
We have a reality show figure skating program in Canada - Battle of the Blades.  It pairs a figure skater with a hockey player to compete for charity.  After several years off, CBC has returned with a new season.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

snoozi soozi

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 14:01:35 PM »
Like @Lowena I watch SCD but not DOI, the main reason being because - I could be wrong, please shout out - with SCD there is a specific dance each time but DOI seems to just be the same all the time, a bit of skating forwards, backwards, lifting and twirling  :D I'm not saying that it's easy, far from it, but I like the variety with SCD
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew