The Sewing Place

Fabric help please - cracked ice taffeta

Missie

Fabric help please - cracked ice taffeta
« on: March 03, 2020, 09:18:41 AM »
DD has her prom this summer and she has asked me to make her dress.  Yes, she who will never ever wear anything "homemade" has asked her Ma to make her dress  0_0.  She has shown me a picture of what she wants and the fabric is cracked ice taffeta.  Does anyone know of any supplier, I spent a bit of time last night searching but there seems to be very little of this fabric around, and what there is is the wrong colour (she wants blue, light blue).

Thanks all (has been cross-posted with the Prom/Bridal board!).

MitchOfTheNorth

Re: Fabric help please - cracked ice taffeta
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 22:00:30 PM »
I haven't seen it as taffeta but there is this blue cracked ice  or this  cracked ice lace & solids .  Hope this helps
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 22:02:13 PM by MitchOfTheNorth »
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 23:37:19 PM »
There's this from Minerva Crafts, this one from UK Fabrics Online.

A blue printed ice design on taffeta from an ebay seller.

Creased organdie
from Dalston Mill fabrics,

Theatrical grade crinkled organza from Joel & Son £££
Scrunched taffeta from Cheap Fabrics.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Missie

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 11:11:18 AM »
Thank you @Brenda  and @MitchOfTheNorth .  I managed to find some shot taffeta (purple and pale blue) which she has approved of (but not cracked ice which adds a slight sparkle, all so unlike my DD!).  I'm waiting for it to arrive and if she decides she doesn't like it, I'll go back to the ones you have suggested.  I did wonder whether to a layer of crystal organza over the top to get the sparkle if I couldn't find the cracked ice, but I'll await her opinion!

Thank you both  :D

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 15:01:22 PM »
A light sprinkling of small rhinestones too much?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 09:29:18 AM »
Sounds interesting and a real change for her. Just be careful she doesn't go too far down the Frozen route!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Missie

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 11:33:20 AM »
A light sprinkling of small rhinestones too much?

I cannot tell you how difficult it is to get her in a skirt (she is a leggings and trainers girl) so yes, waaaaaaaaaay too much.  Even just 1 would be over-the-top  :\

Missie

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 11:36:10 AM »
Sounds interesting and a real change for her. Just be careful she doesn't go too far down the Frozen route!

Believe, she is more likely to BE frozen in the dress she has picked.  It is v low cut (requiring judicious placement of powermesh/net if Mama has her way) and low-backed with thin straps.  It is so unlike anything she would ever wear!

Hmmm, wonder if I can get her to wear a cardi  :P 0_0

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 10:28:53 AM »
Cardi not necessary as long as she wears her vest!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !