The Sewing Place

Sewing with the bobbin thread

snoozi soozi

Sewing with the bobbin thread
« on: January 06, 2020, 16:20:01 PM »
I've heard about sewing with the bobbin thread through the needle for use on delicate fabrics, has anyone tried this?
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Lilian

Re: Sewing with the bobbin thread
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 20:36:02 PM »
I have not tried it but seen a demo. That was for sewing a dart so that there are no threads to tie off at the point.  Interested to see what replies you get  :)  bobbin thread pulled up and threaded in needle then start sewing the dart from the point end first, leaving no threads looks really effective :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 20:37:36 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

Elnnina

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 11:41:15 AM »
I have been using this method for sewing darts since the 1960's era, it does make for such a smooth dart point.  The important thing to remember is to pull up the bobbin thread and then thread the needle from behind coming towards you and you then pull through enough thread (guess) for whatever you want to sew, knot this on to your spool thread and pull this up back to the reel and wind on (don't forget to have the foot lever in the up position for this).  You then start stitching the dart at the point end, so the needle is right on the very edge and thus you will get the neatest dart sewn of all.  The only draw back with this method, you need to keep on rethreading the needle with the bobbin thread for each dart or seam that you sew.  Try it out and see for yourself.

When I was at school way back in the 50's we were originally taught to knot the ends off when sewing seams and darts, and then as we progressed up through the school we threaded the ends into a needle and sewed them off which was better, but still left a bit of a bulge at the dart end.

I found this tip for sewing the darts with the bobbin thread in a book I had out of the library at the time called Short Cuts to Sewing Skills by Thelma Lane and this must have been late 60's early 70's as I moved house in 1972, and was disappointed that I had to return the book to the library.

So Chic

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 12:53:56 PM »
I saw a demo of this technique and then found a YouTube video showing how to do it but I can't remember what it was called or the name of the demonstrator.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 17:00:29 PM »
I found this video Bobbin stitch :)
Willing but not always able :)