The Sewing Place

Problem posting a photo as an attachment

sewingj

Problem posting a photo as an attachment
« on: January 08, 2020, 09:35:31 AM »
I`ve been trying to attach a photo taken from my camera - have done this before with no problems but today after clicking on "instert an attachment" the detail appears in the main body of my message (not the actual photo) and when I click on "post" nothing happens.
Please excuse layman`s language - I`m not over computer savvy

(I was trying to start a new topic in A Good Yarn)

Greybird

Re: Problem posting a photo as an attachment
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 09:44:39 AM »
I'm not either @sewingj but I think that when you say the detail appears in the main body of the message, the photo will appear there too once it's posted. I find that after you hit "post" when there are photos, it takes much longer for things to happen. If there are 4 photos it takes ages.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 09:47:51 AM »
[Cross-posted with Greybird, who is spot on!]

What do you mean by the detail?

When you've clicked on 'insert attachment' you should get a bit of code that says something like attachment id=0 msg=153179' (in square brackets) where your cursor was.  It won't turn into an image until you post the message, because that's when the file gets uploaded to the server.

The post will take a bit longer to post with images in it.

(Image added just to test things.)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 11:34:00 AM »
Well thanks for that explanation Acorn, I tried to post something with a photo the other day and when I previewed it it said something about attachment not uploaded, so I just gave up.

I’ve often had trouble but now realise it was user error. Off to try again :D :D

sewingj

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 11:52:28 AM »
thanks very much.  I`ve just done exactly what I did before and it has worked!  The first time when I tried to click on "Post" it wouldn`t highlight (and nothing happened).  I hope that makes sense.
Anyway it worked straight away this time

Flobear

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 14:11:16 PM »
May I ask if there's a little tutorial somewhere on the forum that I can hunt out to find out all I need about posting pics?
I seem to manage OK using a free hosting site but there might be a better way that I know not of  :)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 14:26:12 PM »
Yes there is!  Because you are a subscriber you can upload photos directly to your post.

When you are making a post, click on the + sign labelled 'Attachments and other options' underneath the posting box.

Then click on 'Browse', underneath the heading 'Attach:' and find the file on your computer.
You can then click on 'Insert attachment', and the picture (or the coding that will become the picture!) will appear where your cursor is in the post.

If you want to add further pictures you MUST click on '(more attachments)' first, or you will overwrite the first picture.  Then go through the same process of clicking on 'Browse', finding the file, inserting the attachment etc.

PS
May I ask if there's a little tutorial somewhere on the forum that I can hunt out to find out all I need about posting pics?

There is now!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 14:39:15 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.