The Sewing Place

Janome coverpro 1000cpx

mudcat

Janome coverpro 1000cpx
« on: December 27, 2019, 23:30:39 PM »
I bought this machine yesterday and my first stitch test on a light weight rayon knit looked fabulous but I am wondering about pulling the fabric/threads out at the end of the stitch.  It feels very tight.  I don't know if that's normal. I would think not. I followed all directions from the manual but it doesn't discuss how this should feel.  Any suggestions on how to make it looser when ending the stitch?

Vezelay

Re: Janome coverpro 1000cpx
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 23:37:14 PM »
I had something similar with my 2000cpx and some Youtube tutor suggested holding on to the thread next to the stitch while you pull the fabric out. I haven't used the machine since then but it makes sense.

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 07:48:24 AM »
I have the 2000 Cpx. I agree the manual doesn't address this. I also struggled until a friend showed me this method. I open the front of the machine & pull through some looper thread, leaving about 10 cm loose between the right hand thread guide and the 3 lever thread guide. Lift the presser foot & slide something flat & thin under the presser foot from back towards you, picking up the needle threads. (I use my unpicker handle). Then cut the needle threads about 8cm from the work. Pull the work backwards away from you & the threads will pull through the fabric taking the slack looper thread with them. Cut, tie then thread all loose ends through the coverstitching. There are several YouTube videos showing this & explaining better than I can.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 07:57:27 AM »
@Lachica I do that too but sometimes when I pull the fabric away at the end the last stitches still end up too tight. I thought that was what @mudcat meant but maybe it wasn't.

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 08:28:19 AM »
@Vezelay you need to pull a reasonable length of looper thread through. I think, in theory, if the tension is released by first raising the presser foot then the looper thread should pull through easily but that doesn't happen on my machine. With hindsight I should have bought the Brother machine instead  ><
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 09:56:20 AM »
I used to have the 2000cpx (before my BabyLock) and used to slide my tweezers under the presserfoot, from back to front, to pull the needle threads forward and cut them off (two or three inches long), then pull the fabric directly backwards and it should come out easily, and then the looper thread will pull the needle threads through to the back of the fabric, and you can cut the looper thread too.

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 10:22:44 AM »
Yes, that's what I do, too @Bodgeitandscarper  . In fact I think Debbie of the Stitches and Seams blog shows a tutorial on how to do that.   She has loads of good information on there for overlocker/serger users.

Must admit sometimes it IS a bit of a struggle to pull the fabric backwards, it feels as though the threads will break but so far, so good, fingers crossed x

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 11:00:32 AM »
I've had issues as you describe @mudcat with my 1000cpx but not all the time. I do the same as everyone is saying with the needle threads. I sometimes raise the presser foot to its highest and use the smaller screwdriver  to yank the threads forward a good long way. I then put my finger and thumb between the fabric as close as I can and pull it back in attempt to stop the ends tightening too much.

I'm wondering if the further you pull the needle threads out, the easier it is to remove the fabric? I've not had mine out for a couple of months as not needed it but will take note next time!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Sewbusy

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 13:09:55 PM »
I don't have a Janome Coverstitch 200 CPX, however removing the fabric in this video for your machine is the same method as I use.  There are two methods shown, and the first one seems to work best, and is the same as I was shown with My machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYDA9mrdXzQ

ClareInStitches

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 14:47:32 PM »
I have only had my CPX2000 for a few weeks, Mudcat, and didn't like the way they showed me at the dealers, either. I was worried about damaging something, it was all so tight. So, I trawled the internets and currently use the first method in the video by Johana Lu from The Last Stitch'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8dp1VNXqcY
I didn't have a thin crochet hook, so I bought a flat dental hook from Amazon. ( Yucky, yes!, but it's pretty efficient! :) )

However, I have just come across a slight variation in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIUYwqO394Y

I haven't tried it yet, but creating some slack in the threads might make it less brutal?

HTH,

Clare

Vezelay

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 17:16:15 PM »
However, I have just come across a slight variation in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIUYwqO394Y

I haven't tried it yet, but creating some slack in the threads might make it less brutal.

Now that's a new one on me - def worth a try. Thanks for the link @ClareInStitches

mudcat

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 20:27:48 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.  Strangely after playing with the machine for a bit the tightness went away.  I'm not sure what caused it but everything is working fine now. I have read online of various problems people have with this machine but so far the quality of the stitches have been great and I've encountered no other issues.

I love this machine and am sorry I didn't buy it years ago since I mostly sew knits.  I tried it on wovens too and it was fine.