The Sewing Place

Baby Play Mat

PollyWally

Baby Play Mat
« on: January 11, 2020, 04:53:08 AM »
I am planning to make a simple baby play mat for a new baby in the family but I need some advice about what sort of wadding to use. I am not very familiar with the different types of wadding available but it would probably need to be something that stands up to frequent washing. For anyone in Australia I will most likely be shopping at Spotlight but can go to a specialty quilting shop if Spotlight has nothing suitable. All suggestions appreciated as it is the first time I have attempted to make something like this !

Lisalou1965

Re: Baby Play Mat
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 07:27:35 AM »
I am no pro, but I would be looking at cotton batting. It breathes well, and endures washing well. Good luck with your project... will look forward to seeing pictures  :D
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 07:39:13 AM »
Play mat? Play mat/changing mat?? or play mat/quilt cover???

Poly wading ... foam ... cotton wadding.

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

PollyWally

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 07:58:40 AM »
Thank you @Iminei and @Lisalou1965 . I was thinking of something like this Round Quilted Play Mat but I wasn't sure whether cotton batting would cope with frequent washing. Unlike a quilt which may be washed less often.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 08:07:37 AM »
I would think a thick Polyester wadding (which I loathe for the feel) with a decent amount of quilting would probably be best for that.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 08:16:49 AM »
As Iminei says, poly is probably better for a play mat - as I said, no pro here. I was thinking more along the lines of quilt to sleep under when I posted.
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 11:00:29 AM »
I make lots of baby play quilts. I use both cotton and polyester wadding and both wash well, so long as the mat has a reasonable amount of quilting. I most often now back them with fleece or cuddle fleece as this adds to the padding.

Sheilago

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 11:06:36 AM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  This is my most recent play quilt, made with cotton wadding and turquoise cuddle fleece backing. As you’ll see , it’s a 3 bears quilt : so quick and easy. .....Or it would have been had I taken the time to pin, pin, pin, before quilting. When I looked at the back I had never seen so many puckers!  :o  After lots of unpicking, it’s now finished and awaiting some as yet unknown baby’s arrival.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:08:10 AM by Sheilago »

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 11:17:44 AM »
If you use cotton wadding it may shrink a tad and become a little crinkled. Polyester wadding won't shrink.
I usually use 80  / 20 but for a baby mat I'm going to make for a friend's grandchild I will use polyester.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 14:53:47 PM »
I like to pre-wash cotton waddinh - it's perfectly OK in the washing machine on a gentle cycle.

If you go for polyester there are different thicknesses; 2oz, 4oz and 6oz (weight per square yard).  The heavier the wadding the thicker it is.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 15:00:59 PM »
love, love, love that quilt @Sheilago  !!!

Lachica

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 18:55:59 PM »
I'm no quilter but I've made 3 playmats and used a polyester mattress protector for the wadding. Thin, washable & stable, I left the polycotton outsides on it which made it easy to handle. I know that the mats gave been well used & frequently washed and they're fine.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

PollyWally

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 23:11:24 PM »
Thank you for the advice everyone, lots of food for thought. Your play mat is absolutely beautiful @Sheilago, anything I make will be a lot simpler I'm afraid.

rubywishes

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 07:11:27 AM »
@PollyWally ....hmmmm, yep I'd trot down to Spotlight and have a look at their mattress protectors and also their batting. The poly will be cheaper than the cotton or bamboos.  I wonder that the cotton and the bamboo, especially the Spotlight stuff may be a bit too thin for your purpose and liking. I've also heard that some bamboo shrinks.

You know what I would do, living in Australia too...I would contact Nu-Wool, or Matilda's Own...both Australian companies and ask them which of their battings would be suitable for your play mat. Also/or contact Australian online suppliers like OzQuilts...they're terrific people to deal with.

Don't disregard the local quilt shops...often their batting is on a par cost wise to Spotlight. 
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Kenora

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2020, 14:05:10 PM »
I'm currently making a play mat for a gt-grandchild due end of this month. I'm using 2 layers of cotton wadding (pre-washed). Everyone has different ideas, so it's probably down to personal preference in the end. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath