The Sewing Place

Use of space

Gernella

Re: Use of space
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2020, 10:24:41 AM »
I consider myself very lucky to be able to have a dedicated craft room,as well as the use of the box / storage room ( bedroom 5 )

Crikey @Lowena, I think you must be on a different planet to me, himself has nearly a double garage for his toys.  I have one long but not wide bedroom, which is sufficient.  But if I did need more such as dining room table for six months recently, I take it, I'm a joint partner, albeit with a funny bugger as he's got older, but when it comes to real estate, I take what I need, I do the flipping cleaning (sort of) so calling myself lucky to have it in a five bedroom house, has me rolling in the aisles.  Why cramp your creativity, especially when you are good at it.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ploshkin

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2020, 10:30:29 AM »
I've already staked my claim to the largest room when our upwards extension is built.  The architect has labelled it on his plans as Sewing / Craft room so there can be no disagreement  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

rubywishes

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2020, 11:47:26 AM »
@Lowena ....why can't you swap your sewing room for one of the larger rooms? I understand that you want to keep everything always in the one room but why do you have to banish yourself to a room that is not suiting your needs? Aren't you worth a bit more space?
 My "first" sewing room quickly became too small for me to be able to work comfortably in....too hard for me to be tidy in.....too dark in winter to sew in.....too hard for me to be happy in.  So I simply moved into a bigger, lighter room...now I'm more tidy, more organised, more productive and more happy and subsequently the then vacated smaller room turned out to be just perfect for what was originally being kept in the larger room. 

I pin a wool blanket to my curtains across the window in my sewing room and that becomes my design board...easy to pull down when I am finished working out my layout.  Basting my quilts is done using the board method so doesn't really require much room as I can lie  70" boards across the table in my sewing room if I sit my machines down on the floor for a wee while.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2020, 12:22:21 PM »
I’m definitely with everyone else on here.  There has to be a better/bigger  room for you to use in a five bed house! 
I used to have one of our front bedrooms but when my DS was at uni he told me I had to move into his bigger bedroom that wasn’t used so much.  It’s a lovely sunny room and gives me loads of room.  No point paying for rooms that aren’t used daily.  Visitors have the smaller room.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 13:28:39 PM »
@Efemera and @Kad no room in our house stands empty or is unused.They each have a dedicated purpose and are used as such.I consider myself very lucky to be able to have a dedicated craft room,as well as the use of the box / storage room ( bedroom 5 )where I keep my bulky craft supplies, it's just the utilisation of said space which is problematical.
We bought the size of house we need......and it is well used, with or without visitors  :)
But what do you use the other four bedrooms for, even if you have one each, there's still two more bedrooms...

Acorn

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2020, 17:07:11 PM »
@Ohsewsimple What a nice, thoughtful son you have!   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2020, 18:38:31 PM »
@Ohsewsimple What a nice, thoughtful son you have!   :)

Well he wasn’t here much.  He actually laid the flooring for me and helped DH put in the workbench. 
But yes, he is a thoughtful person. 

coffeeandcake

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2020, 19:47:53 PM »
I'm just wondering why you're worried about 'disfiguring' a wall in what is your own sewing room and home. Also, like @Bodgeitandscarper what exactly you use those other rooms for. I also have five bedrooms with just our youngest son living with us as he's still at school and a room for DS1, who's at uni. We have very regular visits from our other children but I would absolutely use one of the two 'spare' rooms if I needed to, as would DH

Lowena

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2020, 20:51:47 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll certainly take them on board
3 of the rooms are set up as bedrooms with no scope for additional use. One is a boxroom and set up for storage and the other is my craft room. It's fine. I will sort it out utilising your suggestions
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2020, 21:41:11 PM »
I understand we’re you are coming from not wanting to move into the rest of the house I have almost done the opposite, at one time I worked a lot from home and spread everywhere in the house, now I am mainly in one room and actually really do prefer it.
I am a little curious though do you have other hobbies as well as quilting which take your space in your room? If so what are they?

Lowena

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2020, 22:11:40 PM »
Quilting is the one which takes up the room @Celia
I also do hand embroidery and needle felting. The supplies for those are kept in the box room.
I know I am very lucky to have the dedicated use of a room. I keep it tidy and don't encroach on any other part of the house...although I am not naturally a tidy person  :| I do like things to look neat and be ready for unexpected visitors, even though we very rarely get them  :D
It's just a design facility I was struggling with the concept of..I can do the sandwich at my sewing group.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

WendyW

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2020, 22:36:01 PM »
In centuries past in the US, it was fairly common for large quilting frames to be hung from the ceiling. They were lowered on a pulley system for use, and raised up to ceiling height when the room was used for daily life. Could you rig up a larger work surface in a similar manner, to lower only when needed? If you have a ceiling light that would be a problem, cut a hole in the middle of the work surface for the light fixture to pass through, and cover the hole with a piece of cardboard when you lay out a quilt.

Greybird

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2020, 22:52:10 PM »
Now there's an idea - a quilted tented ceiling!

wrenkins

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2020, 08:06:30 AM »
Perfect solution!

Start watching at about 1.40.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 08:50:51 AM »
Wonderful!!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again