The Sewing Place

Use of space

Greybird

Re: Use of space
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2020, 08:58:03 AM »
If you follow that one you could do away with the kitchen as well.

sewingj

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2020, 11:01:22 AM »
Ok @wrenkins   - how the heck did you find that?!

wrenkins

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2020, 11:44:18 AM »
@sewingj I remember seeing it as a child and thinking it was the funniest thing. I hunted it down a couple of years ago....it took a while as I had no idea what it was from!  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

sewingj

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2020, 14:03:20 PM »
I can see how that sort of arrangement would appeal to a child. When I was a kid I fancied living in a dustbin like Top Cat (in the cartoon)!

Lowena

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2020, 14:37:26 PM »
I was rather hoping for sensible suggestions.
I will look for a lightweight panel to which I can fix a few blocks. There won't be room for anything large enough for a whole row or suchlike as it will have to stand on the floor and lean against the wall. I won't fix anything to the wall as it will spoil the look of the room.
No room for a screen unfortunately but I'll look for thin polystyrene or board.

Photos of said room to follow
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 14:42:19 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lowena

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2020, 14:43:15 PM »
Sewing room

Lowena

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2020, 14:44:47 PM »
Whoops pressed too soon...more

LeilaMay

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2020, 14:46:32 PM »
There really is no solution that doesn't involve using one of the bigger rooms, even if temporarily, or having some discreet attachments on the wall.
Unless you're running a AirBnB the spare rooms could be utilized, at least for a short while.

You could use the top of a double bed to lay things on and get some idea - perhaps standing carefully on a stepstool to get a bit of perspective. This is what I do as I don't have a spare wall.
You could use lightweight plastic hooks on a wall, with those pull-off sticky pads, and hang a white shower curtain that you could pin onto, and then fold the whole thing away?

Your need for extreme neatness seems to be a barrier for you - but folks without that hang-up, and who live in spaces much smaller than yours don't understand. You're making it difficult for yourself, because of your particular needs, and then expect folks to understand - I don't think anyone means to be flippant or unkind, they just can't see the hang-up?

Take care, find a solution that works for you
Leila

LeilaMay

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2020, 14:47:48 PM »
That white wall in your photograph - white plastic hooks set up with removable sticky pads, spaced for the holes in a white shower curtain.

Lowena

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2020, 14:51:31 PM »
Thanks @LeilaMay I'll certainly investigate sticky hooks  :)

StitchinTime

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2020, 15:02:51 PM »
This blog post has some ideas for making a design wall, most of which use fabric or wadding as the blocks will stick to it (unlike a shower curtain).

I've not been able to find the portable design wall on Amazon UK, but I was wondering if you could do something with an old projector screen instead?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2020, 15:05:33 PM »
Unless the spare bedrooms are in use daily there is no reason not to use them yourself.  You are after all paying for them but presumably not using them as you say guests rarely stay. 
If we have guests they have to put up with how we live on a daily basis. 

Have a look at these.  I have these on my wall to hold embroidery hoops, bags for fabric scraps, etc.  Mum has them in her cupboard for her shopping bags and her bedroom door to hold her dressing gown.  I love them.  Even I can put them up! :)
https://command.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/command-gb/products/~/All-3M-Products/Picture-Hanging/?N=5002385+8711749+8723963+3294857496&rt=r3

Greybird

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2020, 22:55:08 PM »
Talking about screens, what about an old fashioned type 3 panel folding screen which would stand - folded - in a discreet corner (maybe alongside a wardrobe) when not in use. When needed it could maybe be opened out on a landing?

fajita

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2020, 23:44:23 PM »
@Lowena you could photo and computer manipulate your blocks. Unfortunately I cannot tell you how.

Or you could print them small out and manipulate them that way.

Lowena

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2020, 02:05:35 AM »
Thank you both