The Sewing Place

Juki stitch selection

JudyN

Juki stitch selection
« on: January 12, 2020, 11:56:17 AM »
Finally, I've had a chance to play with the Juki I bought last week :D Naturally it took a crazy amount of time just to work out how to wind the bobbin and thread the machine, particularly the automatic needle threader (had to resort to YouTube for the last one)  :| But I got there!

I've had a play with a few of the stitches, and one has me stumped. On the machine it looks like a solid scalloped edge (stitch 'I' here, though this is a different model: https://www.jukihome.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/j/u/juki353r01_white_background_1.jpg ), but regardless of what I set stitch length or width to, I just get a running stitch. I'm assuming stitch styles are similar across machines, so can anyone please tell me where I'm going wrong?

Oh, that's just reminded me - when I was investigating sewing machines I came across something that implied that there was a difference between straight stitch and running stitch. Is there a difference, and if so, what?

Ohsewsimple

Re: Juki stitch selection
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 12:13:35 PM »
Running stitch would be a basting stitch.  My machine automatically sets a long stitch length and alters the tension for it.
Yes I’d say that’s a scallop edge stitch.  Does your instruction book have any settings for it or is automatic?   There maybe something your missing or not doing.

JudyN

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 12:40:27 PM »
Thanks Ohsewsimple :D My mum always reckoned basting was for wimps, I don't intend to follow her lead on that one!

I can't see any mention of that specific stitch in the manual, though it mentions several of the other ones... ah, I've had a quick google and wonder if I need to drop the feed dogs...

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 13:46:33 PM »
@JudyN no don’t drop the feed dogs! 
Which model have you got?

Celia

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 14:34:34 PM »
What setting do you have the width to it needs to be on the widest width

JudyN

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 16:03:41 PM »
@JudyN no don’t drop the feed dogs! 
Which model have you got?

Ah, just as well I haven't got round to trying then! It's an HZL-353Z-a.

Celia, I tried on a range of width settings - can't remember if I put it right up to maximum though.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 18:30:43 PM »
@JudyN I think you have to put your stitch length dial on the S setting. 

JudyN

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 18:44:17 PM »
Brilliant, thanks Ohsewsimple - it probably says that in the manual somewhere.....

JudyN

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 11:41:46 AM »
It turned out I needed to turn the stitch length to the buttonhole symbol. Obvious, really... ><

Another basic question: I would like to cobble together some bits of old dog toys to make a 'Frankendogtoy'. The bits are mostly the 'legs' off these: https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/kongs/kong_wubba/139394?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo57Myb6A5wIVCbrtCh1NHQy2EAAYASAAEgKs9_D_BwE

I can manage to stuff one bit under the foot, so I could attach them all to a flat piece of material or just link them side by side, but two together won't fit under. Would it make sense to remove the foot so I can sew them together (assuming the needle goes high enough), or would you go for the former option? And if it's a bit of a squash just to fit one thickness under, could I damange the machine in the process?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 14:30:01 PM »
Glad you got it sussed!  When I went back and looked online there seemed to be 2 different pictures of the models. I’m assuming these aren’t stuffed toys!   Some machines allow you to lift the foot a bit more than the height it rests at when the lever is up.  But I’m not sure your machine will do that. I certainly wouldn’t remove the presser foot because it won’t really sew, unless you plan to do free machining with the feed dogs down.  Trying to cram too much under the foot wouldn’t be a good idea.