The Sewing Place

What kind...

Efemera

What kind...
« on: April 30, 2017, 09:10:33 AM »
I've just read Elephun's thread about a sheers Craftsy class and it got me thinking....I never sew with sheer fabrics, or silky stuff. It's just not something I wear, I feel like I've got my nightie on. I would say 80% of my sewing is with knits and the other 20% with wovens
So what do you mainly sew with?

UttaRetch

Re: What kind...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 09:51:20 AM »
No knits or sheers - don't like see through clothing - and I only sew mid-weight wovens such as cotton sateen or poly mixes.  Even viscose is a problem as it is thinner and I find it hard to cut accurately.  :(

DementedFairy

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 10:32:32 AM »
I sew all sorts, probably an increasing amount of knits for me.  Wovens for the missus, for shirts, but all sorts of weights and fibres.  The steampunk stuff is all sorts, and I'm not unduly phased by fine, sheer or slinky fabrics, although they aren't all that prevalent in my wardrobe.  I do love silk, in all its forms though!
C'est moi!

Ravingdoll

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 12:43:08 PM »
I tend to buy whatever I would want to wear and pay little regard as to the ease of sewing with it.  Then regret it later   :|. Actually come to think about it I wouldn't be put off nowadays by knits, sheers or velvets (I love sewing with velvet) what does put me off is pattern placement.  You know those quilting cottons that look lovely on the bolt but if you're not careful you end up with a kitten strategically placed on each breast, or, as I managed to achieve, an elephant trunk coming out of a seam without the elephant which looked rather phallic.   0_0

DementedFairy

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 12:48:20 PM »
Pattern matching is for pussies!  Remember my five legged rainbow zebra?  Right on my bum crack.  FABULOUS!  I pointed it out to everyone...
C'est moi!

Ravingdoll

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 13:01:02 PM »
You do know Fairy that muv occasionally comes on here to monitor how rude I am being about her, and this comment may well have just ruined her Sunday! 

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 13:09:48 PM »
She's used to me! :devil:
C'est moi!

Ravingdoll

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 13:22:45 PM »
For what it's worth, the fact that you like cutting out, can hand sew a zip and not afraid to use different fabrics does put your credit points higher than your debits it cannot be denied.  However, to her, not pattern matching is definitely in the Thin End of the Wedge scenario.  Which usually involves the family joke of muv spending half an hour telling you how words fail her or that she is speechless!   

DementedFairy

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 13:39:05 PM »
I think the reason pattern matching has failed to make much of a dent on my consciousness is that for many, many years, I only sewed solid colours.  Not a stripe, not a flower.  Now of course I like mad prints, and just tend to go for it.  I have done a little careful pattern placement from time to time, I didn't want a zebra face coming out of my fly, but a five legged one on your bum has to be a good thing!  They were RAINBOW ZEBRAS!

I just realised it's SEVEN legs not 5.  Brillianter and brillianterer!
C'est moi!

Ravingdoll

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 13:46:13 PM »
That actually works!  Love it  :*. After all when you're a rainbow zebra why not have some extra legs too.   

maliw

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 14:04:49 PM »
I will have a go at almost anything except I've never tried leather or it's substitutes. If I have a problem then I refer to my 'friend'
https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Fabric-Savvy-Resource-Selecting-x/dp/1561586625
I've had this for a few years now and use it quite often. I've never sewn a seven legged rainbow zebra though 0_0
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 15:46:21 PM »
I just realised it's SEVEN legs not 5.

And you teach maths, missus.  0_0

I don't pattern match, although I do avoid 'targetting' certain parts of the body.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 15:49:27 PM »
Over the years I've probably sewn with just about every kind of fabric I would think. 
I love wearing knits and use those a lot.  Love cotton lawn for ease of sewing and nice to wear.  But love wearing viscose and have no trouble cutting or sewing it.  I thought crinkle silk  chiffon might defeat me but lots of thought, planning and sampling made it go like a breeze.  Like you DF I love silk of any kind.
Probably the worst fabrics I've worked with have been a very soft drapey velvet and a metallic fabric which blunted needles like mad.  I got through at least 5 on one garment.  Heavily beaded fabric was interesting and I realised that a zipper foot was going to be the best for that job.  I even managed to do a narrow zig zag with it!  Would definitely recommend hand cranking to check that first!
I'm game to work with anything.  You just need to know how to handle it.  Ripping fabric across the grain is a quick way to straighten it, unless it's faulty of course.  Slippery fabrics need a layer of tissue paper or similar for laying out.   I always draw a pencil line along two sides with a large set square so I have a guideline for placing fabric.   The fabric is then pinned to the lines along the selvedge and top.  Then the pattern is placed and pinned.  I cut the whole lot together and only remove pattern pieces when I,m going to work on it.

DementedFairy

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 15:55:19 PM »
And you teach maths, missus.  0_0

I don't pattern match, although I do avoid 'targetting' certain parts of the body.

A real mathematician can prove that 5 IS 7 mate
C'est moi!

Mama likes to make

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 16:08:20 PM »
Mostly knits or stretch fabrics for me and cottons for the kiddos I would say.

DF where did you get those stunning zebras they're awesome
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.