The Sewing Place

Granny squares first attempt

sewingj

Granny squares first attempt
« on: January 08, 2020, 11:49:01 AM »
This is my first attempt at crochet - several of you pointed me in the directiion of BellaCoco videos which were very helpful.
I quickly realised that using a wool that is 2-coloured was not a good idea because it makes it hard to differentiate the stitches - but on the other hand is does conceal a lot of mistakes!
I`m not sure what this will end up being - I need to buy some more wool if I want it to be much bigger

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Ohsewsimple

Re: Granny squares first attempt
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 11:53:19 AM »
Oh wow.  Really good for a first attempt.  And I like the colours.  When I think of granny squares I usually think of old fashioned pale colours.  But this is different.  So much easier than knitting isn’t it?   

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 12:20:33 PM »
Thankyou.  The only problem with learning from videos is that I still don`t know how to read a pattern.  I`ve seen one or two things I like the look of but when I read the instructions they are meaningless to me!

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 12:45:39 PM »
You might be better with charts @sewingj. Lots of patterns come in chart form and once you understand which symbol is for which stitch I find them easier to follow than written patterns.

Nice blanket BTW.

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 13:32:12 PM »
Very nice, your squares are evenly sized, excellent first steps in crochet. I love the colours.

MistyRose

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 14:15:43 PM »

MistyRose

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 14:18:13 PM »

sewingj

sewingj

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 15:00:21 PM »
Is this any use :   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJvO9WwGAUU

Thanks - I've had a quick look and that seems useful. Need to spend a bit of time on it though!

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 15:25:53 PM »
The craft section in your local library is bound to have a beginners' book of crochet.  This will explain the abbreviations used in patterns.  I did have one but I gave it to a friend who was recovering from a nasty skiing injury and was immobile for a while and needed something to do for a while. 

I do have Step by Step Needlecraft Encyclopedia by Judy Brittain (Dorling Kindersley).  As you would expect with DK, it's very concise and very well-illustrated and I'd recommend that also (just don't blindly follow the instructions for invisible joining in knitted garments - they have transposed the plain and the purl versions!).

Lilian

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 22:49:22 PM »
That is wonderful @sewingj I like the pattern and colours.

I am self-taught at crochet and the only issue I had was knowing the difference between American and English stitches, they are different.  I need to stick to one or the other throughout a pattern.  Charts are great once you get used to them.  I have a book that is full of granny squares all with charts.
Willing but not always able :)

Celia

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 09:41:52 AM »
That looks lovely I did one last summer to cover an old storage stool in my bedroom, my cat used to love sleeping on it by the radiator in the mornings, now she won’t even stand on it so I think I need to find it a new home and maybe make a small quilted too instead.

blackcat001

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 06:16:56 AM »
Thankyou.  The only problem with learning from videos is that I still don`t know how to read a pattern.  I`ve seen one or two things I like the look of but when I read the instructions they are meaningless to me!

I like your squares.

I am the same in being self-taught. Nor can I follow crochet patterns. That said, it's not stopped me doing anything I want to do. Whether it's because I can follow sewing patterns or not, I don't know, but I tend to have 'shapes' in my head when crocheting and end up 'making shapes' and joining them together. It usually works in terms of what I want to achieve.

I'm currently doing a baby blanket for a friend who is due to give birth soon, so I had better get my skates on

justpottering

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 20:33:11 PM »
I am a self taught crocheter and I bought a magazine with a lovely pattern in that I wanted to make for a friends baby, like you I didn't know what the abbreviations meant, so I bought a book about crochet stitches which I found very easy to follow and was able to use to see what the pattern was saying

Being a knitter helped I am sure, as I read the pattern in the same way, but I don't necessarily remember the stitches so have to refer to the book a lot until I get going.

Love the crochet by the way, the colours are lovely.
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea