The Sewing Place

Flo's woolly warmers

Flobear

Flo's woolly warmers
« on: January 13, 2020, 12:13:36 PM »
Getting towards the end of the knitting season for me. I have knat a few items since September, mostly smallish.
Decided I needed a lighter weight jumper as a change from wearing fleece so bought a selection of 4 ply yarns and came up with this. Did some basic planning but decided on stripes etc as I went along.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 12:20:38 PM by FloBear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Flobear

Re: Flo's woolly warmers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 12:54:46 PM »
Just located a pic of my previous woolly pulli - made 2 years ago and rather too warm to wear this winter so far. It's knitted in the round so no sewing up (hooray) and the pattern is made by carrying the yarn across so no ends to sew in - unlike the one I've just finished (boo)

JudyN

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 13:16:33 PM »
Very impressive :D I used to knit a lot - my shoulders don't tolerate it now. But I could never freestyle, I needed a pattern. And when I knitted a patterned jumper where the yarn is carried across the back my tension just went all wrong. So respect!

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 13:29:47 PM »
Love your jumper @FloBear   

Is it rectangles sewn together which is clever enough or is it intarsia which would fry my brain.

Flobear

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 14:18:11 PM »
It's intarsia @Ellabella . Because the sections are very wide, there weren't as many balls of wool hanging about as there could have been with a more intricate design!

In truth, @JudyN , I'm not truly freestyling, I usually base it on something and adapt.

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 14:29:04 PM »
Lovely jumper @FloBear. That's the style of jumper I'd knit if I could. My fingers are too stiff now but I never enjoyed knitting much - the first was mohair in asymmetric triangles, then I knitted 3 Icelandic design jumpers in the round. I really enjoyed planning the designs of these. They were far too hot to wear, the untreated wool was itchy and drying them after careful handwashing was a nightmare. That was 40 years ago.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 17:37:34 PM »
I do like that Flobear.  Many years ago I did something with blocks of colour for middle sis but it's probably my least favourite type of knitting.  I don't mind a bit of Fairisle or Icelandic though.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 22:49:41 PM »
@FloBear that jumper's lovely.  I don't have the patience to knit an adult size sweater, and you used 4 ply and not dk or thicker!   :* :wool:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.