The Sewing Place

Nice fabric, but...

Vezelay

Nice fabric, but...
« on: January 15, 2020, 17:18:59 PM »
I want to make something for a family wedding in York late March. A dress I thought, even though I almost never wear one. Maybe a wrap dress, either the Style Arc Kate or New Look 6301

I was really drawn to the sample of this fabric but now 2.5 metres has arrived I'm losing my nerve. Its very floral and very bright and I don't do either!

One option is to use a very plain dress pattern with it (like M6886). Another is to put it in my stash and buy some plain fabric for my wedding attire, or just make a tunic from my stash. As a matter of interest what do you think of the fabric? It's modal/lycra with good stretch and drape.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

fajita

Re: Nice fabric, but...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 17:22:02 PM »
I think your fabric is beautiful. Weddings are for ‘pushing the envelope’. Go on, dress yourself up,

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 17:28:19 PM »
I don't think that looks bright at all, go for it!

Missie

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 17:34:16 PM »
That isn't at all bright, unless the colour has been dulled by the photo but I think it is fabulous.  Weddings are for pushing out that boat, so go for it. It will look fab as a wrap dress.

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 17:45:52 PM »
That isn't at all bright, unless the colour has been dulled by the photo

No, photo's pretty accurate, white and pale pink on navy. For some reason I was expecting fewer and smaller flowers.

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 17:52:37 PM »
I think that it's beautiful, and pretty perfect for a wrap dress actually! It's a lovely colour, one that I find suits a lot of people, I'm sure you'll be no exception!

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 17:59:27 PM »
I sometimes think we must be twins!  I like your fabric but I know exactly how you feel about wearing patterned fabrics.  As the wedding is in March presumably you will be wearing another layer over the dress (jacket?)  If that is in a coordinating, plain fabric then you won't feel quite as 'floral'.
Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 18:35:25 PM »
It’s lovely... I think it’s very understated, classy.

WendyW

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 19:18:15 PM »
I love the fabric and think it's perfect for a wedding. It may be brighter than your normal wardrobe, but it will not be draw-everyone's-attention bright in a large group.

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 19:36:30 PM »
Lovely fabric for a special occasion, M6886 is a simple shaped dress which would look great with a plain toning jacket.
Go for it.
Still learning

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 20:40:56 PM »
It looks lovely, and certainly not too bright. 

Weddings are (or should be!) happy occasions and that's reinforced by the guests wearing happy clothes, not dull, somber germents that you might wear to a funeral.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 21:23:05 PM »
Hey @Vezelay if you decide not to use it, it's a certainty that somebody here will buy it   0_0
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Surest1tch

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 21:44:20 PM »
I rather like it and I don't do florals, it will look fabulous for a wedding and if you don't know live in the North of England it's usually pretty cool up here so it looks like it'll be perfect

Catllar

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 22:21:36 PM »
I love that fabric - classy but not at all dull. I reckon it'd make a great wrap dress - the New Look might be better as it's a mock wrap and you won't risk a wardrobe malfunction!  You could make a plain jacket in one of the colours from the print.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ellabella

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 22:46:04 PM »
I think it’s a lovely fabric and it will look very classy in one of the patterns you have chosen.

Weddings are one of the few places where one can go to town and wear something a little different, go for it!