The Sewing Place

Thursday 16th January

Nevis5

Re: Thursday 16th January
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2020, 15:08:02 PM »
Afternoon, all.  Oh look, it's raining  :\

Had a busyish morning preparing a chicken stew for supper tonight, then I popped over to see my neighbour to ask her to house sit for us next week before going into town to meet my friend for a quick lunch.  Was nice to catch up with her, she has a very sick little grandson who has finally been discharged from hospital, home for the first time this year.  Poor little soul - the hospital discharged him at MIDNIGHT in that howling gale on Monday night  :angry:

Plan this afternoon is to get some buttonholes sewn on the top I've almost made, dig out some ancient knitting I started about two years ago to try and finish it some time this year  :S , get the above mentioned stew into the oven and then it's off to choir practice later on tonight.

Have a good afternoon everyone.  Stay dry.  Sigh. xx

Lowena

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2020, 17:09:22 PM »
As a vegetarian @Ploshkin dare I ask what faggots are??I'm getting an AEG hide and slide oven like on the bake off.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sara-S

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2020, 18:54:54 PM »
Hi there. I had a good day at the archery range today.  For the first time since my cataract surgery, I shot my big tournament bow.  It weighs more and has a heavier draw weight (that’s tension on the string, measured in pounds of force.). But I had forgotten how much more accurate it is.
As it’s more work to shoot, I kept my practice short, but it was so very enjoyable! 
Here are my best shots of the day;
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

BrendaP

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2020, 19:00:42 PM »
As a vegetarian @Ploshkin dare I ask what faggots are??

You mean you've never had pease pudding and faggots!!!  A southern English classic!

They are meatballs made from liver and pork (and probably other bits of offal.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/classic-british-faggots-recipe-435283

When I was small the fish and chip shop used to sell them - you had to take your own pudding basin and they filled it with faggots, a dollop of peas pudding and thick gravy.  Yummy!
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

sewingj

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2020, 19:02:30 PM »
@Sara-S  do you ever shoot 3D targets? The local archery club used to have field shoots on our farm with a number of 3D "animals" to aim at. I wasn't sure if I approved!

Sara-S

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2020, 19:09:22 PM »
I’ve done some 3D recreationally, but not to compete.  It was fun & different.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2020, 19:12:13 PM »
It's about 11 in the morning, the wind has died down and the sun is out temporarily.  It's pretty with all the snow on the trees.  Yesterday's storm that was supposed to miss us didn't - lost power for 4 hours.  It was snowing sideways and occasionally upwards - whiteout conditions on the highway.  Supposedly, it will warm up and then 2 more storms by the end of Sunday.  I'd keep the snow - it's so bright - better than gloomy rain.

Today's activities include housework, baking - I'm thinking gingersnaps - and reading my new book on crocheted granny squares.  Oh, and in other news, DD2 got in university.  She didn't think she'd get into her first choice but in September, she'll be going to St. Francis Xavier in Nova Scotia for business.  As a crow flies, it's over 4500 km away - she'll be closer to the UK than to home.  It's about 6400 km in driving distance.
Stashbusting 2020
Goal:  50 meters
So Far:  0 meters

Sandra

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2020, 23:36:34 PM »
Have returned home after my Strictly Live show. Enjoyed it. Daughter loved it. We had really good seats.

(Kelvin performed his samba.  ;))
Some great group dances.

The woman in the seat behind my daughter sploshed beer all over my daughters chair when we were stood up for a short while. She didn't bother to apologise. Just stood there clutching an almost empty beer glass and pretended it was nothing to do with her, as I searched my bag for tissues to mop up the mess so my daughter would be able to sit down again.

We're both tired now and ready for bed.

Sandra.
xxx