The Sewing Place

The Great Digitakt Dust Cover Caper

Sew What?

The Great Digitakt Dust Cover Caper
« on: January 19, 2020, 20:07:32 PM »
So, this week I had a go at using vinyl to make a dust cover. I noticed a few things, such as I like doing the patterns on vinyl as its easier (to me), pencil, ruler, craft knife, slice away and nice clean edges. Its a lot harder to sew though due to the thickness, like everything its the good with the not so good. Anyway..

I loosely followed a YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8pZlWZ4Ttc&t=409s but how he lay things out didnt seem to work so I just figure out my own way and ended up with a layout like this. I'll stick with it as it seemed to work OK.

The thing Im covering (Digitakt) is this, a square box shape with knobs on

And what I ended up with is this

The Good - I finished it, it came out roughly as I hoped and hasnt fallen apart as of yet

The Bad - The seams are all over the place, corners arent finished properly on the exterior and I cut a bit too close for one corner thats left a hole.

The Ugly - its not as sharp a square as I want.

Please feel free to pick apart the mistakes and where I could improve, I did treat this as an experiment so I have learnt a few things and what my limitations are at the mo. If you have any opinions on different types of material for this type of Id be interested to hear what else I could use.

Thread was Gutermann Polyester Sew All, straight stitch on 2, no idea how you refer to the thread weight/thickness it was all I had.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 20:09:09 PM by Sew What? »

Lilian

Re: The Great Digitakt Dust Cover Caper
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 20:26:59 PM »
That look great and well done  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 09:52:39 AM »
What is a digiwhatsit?? and would it be live/in use/on when the cover is on?

My concerns are most electrical thingmys require ventilation and I think the vinyl would impede that and I fear your didgeridoo would overheat (oh Er Missus!)

Nice job tho'  :)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 10:00:45 AM »
It looks good to me.

@Iminei  I think @Sew What? has already said (on a different thread) that this is a storage cover, not for use whilst the electronic gizmo-thingie-whatsit is being used.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 10:27:09 AM »
That looks really good and I am not sure I can see the wonky seams etc even though you have told us they are there.

On my machine, if I select leather/vinyl as the fabric type it defaults to a longer stitch length (3) so you might want to try lengthening the stitch. This will mean the vinyl is less "perforated" and prone to ripping.

Similarly, rather than reverse stitching at the end of a line of stitching (which adds more holes), taking the top thread through to the wrong side to tie off in a knot would reduce the number of stitching holes and would be a bit neater. On fabric you can usually pull the top thread through (see photo 8 on the link below) but it might be bit more tricky on vinyl. If this is the case, leave a long enough length of thread when removing from the machine and use a needle to take the thread through to the wrong side.
http://www.secondchancegarage.com/how-to/upholstery-2-1.cfm
(I hope this makes sense - pulling a thread through is something I could show you in seconds, but I can't seem to find internet instructions for it.)

If you can't get the knack of pulling a thread through on vinyl, try first on a cotton type fabric with contrasting thread and a longer stitch length.

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 11:46:08 AM »
You've done a good job, well done.
Still learning

Sew What?

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 20:28:37 PM »
That looks really good and I am not sure I can see the wonky seams etc even though you have told us they are there.

On my machine, if I select leather/vinyl as the fabric type it defaults to a longer stitch length (3) so you might want to try lengthening the stitch. This will mean the vinyl is less "perforated" and prone to ripping.

I used that stitch length intentionally, all the tutorials say to use a longer stitch so I wanted to see the difference between the two. Im waiting on making another  one using a longer stitch/

Similarly, rather than reverse stitching at the end of a line of stitching (which adds more holes), taking the top thread through to the wrong side to tie off in a knot would reduce the number of stitching holes and would be a bit neater. On fabric you can usually pull the top thread through (see photo 8 on the link below) but it might be bit more tricky on vinyl. If this is the case, leave a long enough length of thread when removing from the machine and use a needle to take the thread through to the wrong side.
http://www.secondchancegarage.com/how-to/upholstery-2-1.cfm
(I hope this makes sense - pulling a thread through is something I could show you in seconds, but I can't seem to find internet instructions for it.)

If you can't get the knack of pulling a thread through on vinyl, try first on a cotton type fabric with contrasting thread and a longer stitch length.
I'll do that next time. As with the short stitch that was sort of intentional, this was more of an "experimental" attempt to see if my measurements and layout worked so I just went for a reverse stitch to save time.

Tim Sr

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 05:56:26 AM »
@Sew What?
I think it is a fantastic job done there.I know I can not make suggestions since I do not know yet what is what but I will ask if you are trimming into the corners? I also know the covers are not for use when using the gear, would be hard to do covered, but I am imagining this is for road trips to protect the gear.
I like what I am seeing and I even like the radius'ed corner for gear.
Fantastic!!

Tim
Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up, Rip it out, Sew it up...check the pattern..Rip it out!

Sew What?

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 19:30:46 PM »
@Sew What?
I think it is a fantastic job done there.I know I can not make suggestions since I do not know yet what is what but I will ask if you are trimming into the corners? I also know the covers are not for use when using the gear, would be hard to do covered, but I am imagining this is for road trips to protect the gear.
I like what I am seeing and I even like the radius'ed corner for gear.
Fantastic!!

Tim
I did trim into the corners but I did a Frank Sinatra on them  ;)

I dont gig so its just for covering it when not in use. I dont get loads of time to play so dust etc builds up every now and again, this used to be solved with a paintbrush so now I can just cover it up as and when.

Sew What?

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 20:52:40 PM »
Nipped over to Leicester today to pick up some fabric which turned into this.

Same cover from different material