The Sewing Place

Self-binding quilts

Sara-S

Self-binding quilts
« on: January 20, 2020, 00:48:37 AM »
I saw a video on this topic, which involves using the backing of the quilt to make the binding.
https://mypatchwork.wordpress.com/2019/12/01/self-binding-a-quilt-tiny-quilt-qal/?fbclid=IwAR2zKVH2XVLQACELatLfQGtPUw8bmvv1mybf72gE1vvXS3ZRK9iRR5ndxXI

I made a small sample piece to try it. It basically works, though I would use a larger border than what they recommend.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Renegade Sewist

Re: Self-binding quilts
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 03:36:55 AM »
@Sara-S I steer clear of this myself. I've yet to see a quilt finished this way that wasn't terribly out of alignment and sloppy looking . I have a queen sized log cabin that was won at a farm show after OH put my name in the barrel that is finished this way. It really is pretty awful, very uneven and probably a poly cotton to boot. My first quilt in class was a little flip and sew baby quilt that we were supposed to finish this way. They were dreadful. I'm slow, last one done, used a regular mitered binding.

It's easier to get a good, even binding put on then one of these put on evenly. Did you notice how crooked even her small quilt is? It wasn't squared up properly to begin with. Then at this scale even the quilting distorted the quilt top. You can't go back and true up the sides. Then she wobbled and cut the binding portion from 3/4" to 1". Do not finish the corners the way she did, too much bulk.

If you try this on a bigger quilt it just magnifies the problems. It would work on this scale, basically works as you put it, if one was very careful with their measurements and techniques.

When you say you would use a larger border then what they used, are you referring to the binding "flap"? I think her size was good for what she did. One inch, then folded approximately in half giving 1/2" to fold over the edge for the binding, leaving about 3/8" on the top as the binding. This is a generous binding width, pretty typical for regular large sized quilts. If I was trying this at home on this scale I'd likely cut to 1" and fold one side. If it seemed too wide I'd likely trim to 3/4". I suspect that would be a pleasing width on a small quilt.

Of course the "quilt police" don't actually exist. So you get to finish off your quilts how ever it pleases you.  :toast:  ;)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

WendyW

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 05:56:42 AM »
I've used this method many times. I usually use it for small things like mug rugs that are difficult to put a separate binding on.

The first few bed quilts I made were finished this way, mostly because it was pre-internet and I was figuring things out as I went. I didn't know any quilters to teach me otherwise. Mine were done with a much wider edge so the "binding" formed a full border to the design, not just a narrow binding. I suppose mine were pretty sloppy when done, but at that point in time they would have been sloppy no matter which method I used. I haven't used this on a full quilt in many years. I ought to try it again just to see how well I can do it now that my skills have increased.

rubywishes

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 06:27:29 AM »
@Sara-S I steer clear of this myself. I've yet to see a quilt finished this way that wasn't terribly out of alignment and sloppy looking . I have a queen sized log cabin that was won at a farm show after OH put my name in the barrel that is finished this way. It really is pretty awful, very uneven and probably a poly cotton to boot. My first quilt in class was a little flip and sew baby quilt that we were supposed to finish this way. They were dreadful. I'm slow, last one done, used a regular mitered binding.

It's easier to get a good, even binding put on then one of these put on evenly. Did you notice how crooked even her small quilt is? It wasn't squared up properly to begin with. Then at this scale even the quilting distorted the quilt top. You can't go back and true up the sides. Then she wobbled and cut the binding portion from 3/4" to 1". Do not finish the corners the way she did, too much bulk.

If you try this on a bigger quilt it just magnifies the problems. It would work on this scale, basically works as you put it, if one was very careful with their measurements and techniques.

When you say you would use a larger border then what they used, are you referring to the binding "flap"? I think her size was good for what she did. One inch, then folded approximately in half giving 1/2" to fold over the edge for the binding, leaving about 3/8" on the top as the binding. This is a generous binding width, pretty typical for regular large sized quilts. If I was trying this at home on this scale I'd likely cut to 1" and fold one side. If it seemed too wide I'd likely trim to 3/4". I suspect that would be a pleasing width on a small quilt.

Of course the "quilt police" don't actually exist. So you get to finish off your quilts how ever it pleases you.  :toast:  ;)

Absolutely agree...this method is not for me; too hard for me to keep the "binding" straight and not pulling in different directions when I sewed it down. I also had an "unsquare" appearance too. I gave up, undid it and put on a regular binding. Mind you, that's just my experience and I'm a bit of a clutzy numpty.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 08:55:29 AM »
I thought this was called 'facing' the quilt ...
using the backing as a binding, folding the excess in half and then pulling it over to the front ???

Not my cup of tea .. but then I like binding ( 'specially as the QP havent yet twigged to my machine finishing skills!)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 09:15:33 AM »
Not my preferred style either but it’s an alternative.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 09:43:46 AM »
It's an alternative for small items.  The bigger the quilt gets the more difficult it becomes to keep the backing square to the top layer - and that's why all the instruction books tell you to cut backing and wadding 4 inches bigger all round (for a bed size quilt).

I have some coasters which were hand made by an acquaintance in Japan which are self bound with the backing and they are good.  The fabric is heavier than regular craft cotton, machine quilted then the backing laid over the back and wrapped around and stitched down by hand.  The backing isn't quilted it's just years of use and machine washing which has made the imprint show on the back.

As I said, the method is good for small items, but not for anything bigger.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 09:49:39 AM »
Not for me either, but if it suits, go with it.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sara-S

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 12:06:33 PM »
I've used this method many times. I usually use it for small things like mug rugs that are difficult to put a separate binding on.

The first few bed quilts I made were finished this way, mostly because it was pre-internet and I was figuring things out as I went. I didn't know any quilters to teach me otherwise. Mine were done with a much wider edge so the "binding" formed a full border to the design, not just a narrow binding. I suppose mine were pretty sloppy when done, but at that point in time they would have been sloppy no matter which method I used. I haven't used this on a full quilt in many years. I ought to try it again just to see how well I can do it now that my skills have increased.
For me, small is a given. I haven't the space to work large.  As has been observed, I am awful at binding edges (no matter what the method) and this wasn't perfect.  It was, of course my first attempt at a new method of doing something I struggle with.
I can see the problems with it for a very large project, but I will give it some more tries on smaller stuff.

Flobear

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 14:16:23 PM »
I have done the same thing, but in reverse, on my eversonearly finished placemats. Was umming and erring about what to use as binding then thought, the edge border is nice and wide, I'll turn it to the back. They look OK to me though the corners are a bit pointy but I'm going with the Flo on this. Pics eventually!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 17:28:43 PM »
@Sara-S , for a first try I thought your sample piece is just fine, quite likely better than the tutorial sample, that's for certain.

Things like binding are fiddly. They take time and practice. New techniques take time and practice. I don't quilt often enough to be all that good. Not entering any shows, still keep us warm, so good enough. No Quilt Police at my house!

You can work larger than you think. My "Sewing Room " is the computer desk. It's  37" by 24" deep, has 2 PC towers on the side , so the work space is only 22" wide. I can piece and quilt a large throw, not quite twin size on it.  While quilting the bulk rests on a file cabinet.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Flobear

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 17:34:07 PM »
Here's one I tacked earlier. Have now decided to hand sew the edges as I don't want a line of machine stitching on the front.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Sara-S

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 18:18:57 PM »
@Renegade Sewist as you correctly surmise, this is my first try at this. And I liked it enough to experiment further.  As to size limits, the biggest thing I have done is a throw for the couch, but I couldn’t finish the work at home.  There is just no place to lay it flat to pin the layers.

I suppose I could lay it out on the floor, but you’d need a crane to get me back up when I was done.  I’ve managed a couple of baby quilts but anything bed-sized isn’t going to happen anytime soon. That’s OK with me though;I’m happy with the kinds of projects I do.

RJR_38

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 21:31:18 PM »
I’ve found it works really well if you make sure the backing is over sized (so you can re-square before folding over). You can also mitre the corners still. I’ve done it for a couple of medium sized wall hangings (40 inches ish) and secured the front down with a decorative stitch.

It is a technique I would use again.

Sara-S

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 23:24:16 PM »
@RJR_38 could you post a pic of a piece you have done this way?