Iminei

Re: Self-binding quilts
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2020, 10:56:43 AM »
Pointy is good @FloBear
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2020, 11:10:26 AM »
@FloBear you may not have discovered Wonder Clips (made by Clover amongst others).  Another thing you didn't know you needed.   Great for holding binding in place with no need for tacking.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2020, 11:40:36 AM »
Thanks for that, @Ploshkin. I saw the ones Imi had and thought, 'ooh, they look useful'. My recent acquistions, that I never knew I needed, were chalk pen things.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Esme866

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 00:20:11 AM »
I hope it's ok to ask a binding related question here.

I'm hoping to start my bedspread soon, which I will be quilting though not piecing. I'm using a thin very durable commercial grade upholstery fabric that washes up beautifully. The backing is a coordinating cotton sheet.

Bindings don't throw me for a loop - they are what they are -  mitering a corner is no biggie either.

Here's my only question. Can quilt bindings be cut on grain or must they be bias cut? Pretty basic question, but I just don't know the answer. I've only ever done bias bindings - even on window treatments - but I'm thinking I don't have enough fabric for a bias cut and I'll have several long strips left after trimming for the top.

Any thoughts?

WendyW

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2020, 04:35:44 AM »
If the sides are straight with square corners, the binding can be cut on grain. This is more stable and can give better results as it won't stretch as you apply it. If the edges of the quilt are a different shape, such as scalloped, or if the corners are rounded, then the binding must be cut on the bias to shape it around the curves.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2020, 07:12:52 AM »
@Esme866 , as Wendy said lucky us quilt binding is typically cut on the straight of grain. There is a school of thought in part of the quilt community that bias wears better due to the crossing of thread over the fold. I've done both and they seem to wear the same for my usage.

Sounds nice. Are you using a filler.? Flannel can be a nice option for a smoother look like a bedspread. Joann's has 108 inches wide on sale starting Thursday. I like it for lighter summer quilts. If you do use flannel wash it like crazy first.  ;)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Acorn

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2020, 08:31:55 AM »
I have only ever done on-grain bindings for quilts, too.

Looking forward to the pictures!   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.