The Sewing Place

Sewing aides

b15erk

Sewing aides
« on: January 20, 2020, 10:37:04 AM »
I'm not a handbag maker, but I like to watch Lauren Mormino on YouTube.  She is very organised, and I have taken up some of the tools she uses, with great results.

First up, is the humble hair grip.  Not the brown wire ones, these are silver with a small spring.  These are excellent. Use them instead of pins, on edges where you don't want the marks that plastic wonderclips can make.

AlligatorClips

The very slim snips that she uses means that you can cut very close to the fabric - and they are very  sharp.

SlimSnips

Finally, the thread zapper.  This is a great idea to cut and seal the edges of thread, very close to your fabric.

ThreadZapper

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but thought these were really good ideas I wanted to share.  I'd be interested to hear of any other ideas which may be useful.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

Re: Sewing aides
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 10:46:41 AM »
The snips look really good - I'm always on the lookout for scissors/snips with really fine points.  I prefer to use scissors if I can rather than a seam ripper for unpicking.

This set of tweezers is good - not only for threading the overlocker, but all sorts of craft uses.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MYBI01J?psc=1&pf_rd_p=41d39a33-8e2f-4d62-8e7d-483ad2693164&pf_rd_r=Z9H5FWMK1E8YRTMAJAVT&pd_rd_wg=LQgQr&pd_rd_i=B01MYBI01J&pd_rd_w=o7INg&pd_rd_r=8a2867ac-2c53-4df9-8064-ecedafe85858&ref_=pd_luc_rh_crh_rh_sim_03_01_t_img_lh
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 14:20:31 PM »

This set of tweezers is good - not only for threading the overlocker, but all sorts of craft uses.

Do you have that specific set @BrendaP ? Both DH and I are both big tweezer fans for all sorts of tasks but I only ask because I've found the craft packs not to have the sort of fine grip control that you often need for sewing and sometimes they have a slight roughness that isn't great with fabric. If that's not an issue with them, it looks a really good set to have.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 15:13:27 PM »
Love the idea of the clips.  The snips are great too.  But I have seen some that are naff so make sure they’re good ones. 
Nice to know these tweezers are good.  We used to have a set at work, Rolson's I think.  They were far superior to any that came with a machine.  But I usually opted for the round ended ones as I’ve been known to stab myself on more than one occasion.  And they are very sharp!   :S

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 16:48:12 PM »
Do you have that specific set @BrendaP ? Both DH and I are both big tweezer fans for all sorts of tasks but I only ask because I've found the craft packs not to have the sort of fine grip control that you often need for sewing and sometimes they have a slight roughness that isn't great with fabric. If that's not an issue with them, it looks a really good set to have.

@Marniesews  Yes, I do have that set.  They are good, and have very fine tips.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 17:17:36 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but thought these were really good ideas I wanted to share.  I'd be interested to hear of any other ideas which may be useful.
You could have posted in Tools of the trade/haberdashery.  I am sure bag makers would welcome these additional tools and they have general application in other areas of sewing.

Hummingbird

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 08:25:16 AM »