The Sewing Place

Purple wool cape

Silver Rose

Purple wool cape
« on: January 20, 2020, 15:27:24 PM »
I managed to get the cape cut out earlier, it took ages as I had to keep stopping to stretch my back. I'll see how I am tomorrow and do some more.
Still learning

Silver Rose

Re: Purple wool cape
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 14:32:35 PM »
It is a week later and I managed to spend about an hour on the cape and now it is looking more like a garment, before I attach the front and neck facings I'll need to buy a lot of bias binding to finish the edge of the facings and also hong king finish the seams as the wool is fraying like billy-o. It is a lovely weight and will be warm to wear. I still have to buy a suitable fastening.
Still learning

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 16:37:47 PM »
I have small metal things for fastening if you would like a pair (or two)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 16:57:20 PM »
Thanks @Iminei , I've seen a lot online like that but I would like them to be larger, I haven't looked locally because I haven't been very mobile lately. How much do you want for 2 pairs?
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 15:41:58 PM »
Did a bit more today and bought 10 metres of bias binding to finish the seams.
Thank you very much @Iminei for the 2 pairs of fastenings, I think they will be OK, they look similar to the fastenings on a Norwegian knitted cardigan I had many years ago.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 09:45:55 AM »
Did a bit more yesterday apart from making an awful job of the bias binding on the front and back facing grr, so I'll sort that out today and carry on finishing the main seams of the cape with bias binding. The collar is ready to go on next then the facing. I'll have to take my time as I still can't sit for too long.

Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 09:38:15 AM »
Well, I sorted out the edge finish of the back and front facing and then started to pin the bias binding to the main seams, the fabric is very thick and although I bought 2.5 cm wide bias binding it was not going well so I decided the best way to go would be to line the cape and hide away all those chunky seams. I'll probably zigzag stitch the edges to minimise fraying so next job is to buy some lining and then cut out the pieces I need with suitable adjustments regarding the facings, I lined a blazer jacket last year, the original pattern was for unlined so I am comfortable with doing it. not something I would dared to do 3 or 4 years ago. So a lot of interesting sewing ahead and I would like to cut out the nightshirt and pyjama bottoms from my latest purchase from Croft Mill. Can you detect a more positive me here :) I had better get the h*******k done first then I can crack on.
Still learning

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 10:06:12 AM »
Good to see you're feeling a bit more chipper @Silver Rose.

I can't believe you did the binding and then decided to line it. That's like dropping the plate after you've washed and dried it!  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Silver Rose

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 10:13:05 AM »
Thanks @wrenkins but I started to pin the binding in place on a seam and then realised it wasn't going to work and downed the pins. It would be a lot of work binding all those seams so I changed my mind. I'm not going to be  a martyr to my sewing.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 12:16:46 PM »
I've returned to the cape after a few days of inactivity and got the collar and facing tacked on and not wonky. I've run out of energy now and need a rest and food. My eyes keep wandering to the llama print brushed cotton for pyjamas.
Still learning

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 12:24:34 PM »
OOoohhhh Llama print flannel ...

You know those cutie (and very expensive) kids  pjs you see in high end shops that have retro cowboys or spaceman, rockets etc ... designs all over them?

Well Im always miffed that they dont come in adult sizes ... mmmmmnnn maybe ?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 13:21:44 PM »
@Iminei  my friend wishes that duvet sets for grown ups had dinosaurs on them and he is 67, I'm always looking for that sort of fabric so I could make him one.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 19:26:20 PM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 16:31:20 PM »
Collar and facings all done and pressed, the hem is pinned too. Now I need to buy the lining and finish it off and finally sew on the fastenings. I am pleased with it, it is really warm and cosy to wear.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 11:41:08 AM »
I bought some matching purple lining fabric yesterday and some more thread from Franklins so hope to cut out the lining today, I've got the pattern pieces all ready, just hope my inflexible back holds up. Always feel better after a swim though which I had earlier.
Still learning

SkoutSews

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 12:30:23 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the finished cape, it sounds lovely and cosy.