The Sewing Place

Tuesday 21st January

Lisalou1965

Tuesday 21st January
« on: January 21, 2020, 05:27:57 AM »
Good morning all! Raining here - has been for 24 hours. Cold and wet and miserable. Just a few kms up the mountain from here quite a lot of snow, which we really arent used to in these parts!

Hope you all have a lovely day

Lx
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

UttaRetch

Re: Tuesday 21st January
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 08:38:20 AM »
The frost has returned and my car is again covered.

I have to dash out this morning and be back for 13:00 in case the the meter company turns up at the beginning of the time slot.  I am having the old DIAL electricity meter :o  exchanged for a non-smart digital one. 
What goes around comes around.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 09:22:28 AM »
Not as cold as yesterday, but a grey old morning here.

Made progress on my Shirtdress last night, hoping to have it finished by the weekend.

Had a lovely surprise behind the gate last night - belated bday pres off DD. I'd mentioned to her some time ago that I used to always wear 4711 cologne, but hadn't seen it for sale anywhere.  It obviously is, because it's now sitting on my dressing table, and I'm wearing it this morning!  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 09:31:38 AM »
Morning
Lovely sunny day here and no frost.
Had to phone the dentist as I have a broken tooth. However she doesn't work Tuesdays so I have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. No pain just a bit sharp edge.
Teeth, they give you problems coming and going.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Missie

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 09:38:08 AM »
It is freezing here (outskirts of N london/Hertfordshire).  It was -3 when we went out this morning and a thick frost on the car.  Think winter has arrived at last!  0_0
A measly 2.5m of stash used so far!

annierose

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 10:01:10 AM »
Hello, I don't post much, but love this forum. And I wanted to say that tomorrow I am off to do one of Michelle Pye's courses (English Couture Company). This is her Sewing Guide to different fabrics. I always look forward to doing her courses.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 10:02:26 AM »
Cold and frosty here.

I am about to set up the buttonholer to do the cord loops in my dolphin jacket.  Won't have time for any more sewing today as it's Tuesday; art group and Pilates.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Sandra

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 10:20:46 AM »
Frosty this morning. Don't know how low it was expected to go down to.
I sort-of miss checking the daily temperature and writing it down for the temperature quilt.

Daughter was in a terrible grump when she came downstairs. Non-verbal today. I'm sure she'll be fine when she gets back.   -<

Dry cleaner has brought me nothing but I have several things to do for the menswear shop.

I've spoken to my Dad this morning. He got back home from the hospital at two-ish.  |O  :S  I tried to call the hospital last night to see if I could find out what was happening with him, but nobody was able to answer the call when switchboard tried to connect me to the correct department. I tried four or five times and gave up.  -<

He'd taken himself there around teatime after having a problem with his catheter. He has an infection and has been given antibiotics. He sat for about four hours, (from 7 until 11 pm,) waiting with a crowd of other people for a doctor to see him.
He sounds tired but OK this morning.

Sandra.
xxx

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 10:27:44 AM »
It's cold, frosty and sunny here after a dismal, foggy day yesterday.  I'm feeling a bit stiff and sore after the effort of lugging heavy gates round tester and pushing and shoving recalcitrant sheep up a ramp to be scanned.  The scanner didn't arrive until 6.00 and the sheep just wanted to settle down and not be messed with.  I'm still a bit stunned, our lambing percentage (at scanning) is usually about 170%  but this time it is over 200%.  The majority are carrying twins, there's only a handful of singles and there are 16 with triplets (we usually have 2 or 3).  I'm going to have to devise a new system for feeding pet lambs.
Today's job is sorting sheep then I might get the hems finished on my top.
Have a good day everyone.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 10:28:30 AM »
Hope your dad has got himself sorted @Sandra.  What is a simple problem to us can be nasty when you’re much older. 

Cold and frosty again here.  When DH gets back from taking the lawnmower in for a service we will be off to the farm shop for a big veg and fruit shop. 

Then it will be more hand sewing of the blind.  I think the curtain lining is making it difficult to get a needle through.  But so glad of my haemostat for pulling the needle right through.  Works lovely.

Have a good day all.  Stay warm.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 10:40:45 AM »
But so glad of my haemostat for pulling the needle right through. 

??????????  :S
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

snoozi soozi

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 10:44:43 AM »
G'morning tis another sunny frosty one  :)

My bestie is coming here at lunchtime for a chat and a cuppa, I'm without a car as the OH is using mine for work. He buggered two wheels on his car on Saturday by driving over a traffic island. He's too used to a big truck  ><

I've tentatively approached the SS problem, have found out he's staying with us all week so I told him I'd find him some jobs to do while he's here. He was happy with that. He offered to trundle off to the stupormarket for supplies, so that will definitely happen  ;)

Have a good day all

Elnnina

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 11:07:52 AM »
Imi, haemostats are surgical forceps - they come in a variety of sizes and can have bent tips as well and oh so useful for pulling needles through thick fabrics and of course for many other little tasks around the home.  I get mine via my very helpful chiropodist - though I might have to wait until she is ordering items for her self.  Otherwise try a good pharmacy.  If you can wait until you go to a quilting show I bet there will be someone there selling these.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 12:21:28 PM »
Haemostats are so useful if you have bad hands.  I know this has been discussed before but.....
Pulling needles through.  Turning cuffs, collars etc without having to poke the corners which results in a mess.  Pulling stubborn threads out.  Stuffing small toys. Turning small loops and tabs through in bag making. 
I have 3 different sizes bu these are my faves as they have a  grip.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prestige-Hemostat-Forceps-Grooming-Straight/dp/B00PPPAZ28/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Haemostat+with+rubber+handles&qid=1579608553&sr=8-1

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 12:28:13 PM »
I use a pair of small, long nosed pliers for pulling needles when my hands won't do it.  I also use them for removing zip teeth when I need to shorten a zip.  They must be model makers pliers because they aren't much more than 4" long.
Life's too short for ironing.