The Sewing Place

Another newbie question...

JudyN

Another newbie question...
« on: January 23, 2020, 14:42:42 PM »
I've removed the waistband from a pair of jeggings and an reattaching it lower down. I played eeney meeney miney mo with the stitch selection (though I dare say straight stitch would have been fine) and thought I'd try stretch overlock. It seemed fine, apart from the fact that the edge of the fabric had to go right through the centre of the foot so the fabric wasn't held in position that well. And when I stopped, lifted the foot, realigned the fabric very slightly, and continued, the stitching jumped to the side.... like this:

This isn't from me moving the fabric, as I was just shifting the top layer to stop it curling up. It's as if the needle 'forgot' its position so jumped in the wrong direction.

Is this to be expected? Surely it's normal to need to raise the foot to realign things occasionally and it shouldn't disrupt the stitch?

snoozi soozi

Re: Another newbie question...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 15:27:56 PM »
That's what you get for meddling with stretchy stuff   :x  I learned my lesson a long time ago  ;)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

JudyN

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 15:43:31 PM »
I'm not sure it was the stretchiness that was to blame - apart from meaning I'm more likely to need to stop and start. I'll have to try stopping & starting on non-stretchy fabric and see if it happens then.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 16:28:26 PM »
Next time you try something like that try to have the seam allowance a bit wider so that there is fabric underneath all of the foot.  You can then trim close to the sewing after the seam is stitched - duck bill scissors are good for that, though any sharp scissors should work.  They do need to be a bit bigger than embroidery snips for cutting heavy fabric like denim.

When you lift the foot does your machine be too clever and reset itself to the beginning of the stitch/needle position repeat?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

JudyN

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 17:21:54 PM »
When you lift the foot does your machine be too clever and reset itself to the beginning of the stitch/needle position repeat?

It does seem to be that's what is happening (though it's a mechanical machine rather than computerised if that makes a difference). But if so, it just seems to be a bit of a design flaw - surely even experienced sewers need to lift the foot on occasion?

Thanks for the tip - I had assumed it was intended to sew along the actual edge, but of course with non-stretchy flat fabric, particularly if it had been basted etc., then that might well work fine.

It's all a learning curve!

JudyN

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 16:41:07 PM »
I've not been able to replicate the problem on a bit of non-stretch cotton, depsite stopping, lifting the foot, having a little fiddle, and continuing. So it must have been something to do with the stretch fabric and me stretching it out as it went under the foot.

Which is a relief, as I didn't want the machine to be faulty, or for this to be what is called in computer parlance a 'system feature'  ;)